Solid Tool Post Block

I can help ya make it once i get more info and the material you want to use so i can look up prices for it.
I appreciate that. Here is an updated drawing. Let me know if it’s what you need or not. As for the material cast iron would be great but the prices are too steep for me. I’d settle for any heat treatable steel. Long as I end up knowing what steel it is. There is a heat treating company across the freeway from where I work. They do every kind of heat treating even stuff I never heard of.

Attachments

• Solid Tool Post 3.1.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 135
Oh and I’m in zip code 76226 as it looks like your quite a ways away from me. Just let me know. Thanks very much.

you are still missing dimensions and offsets from edges.
you gave 20mm and another 20mm referencing the same edge, same center. but not the distance from the other edge or from a datum.
take a look see if you agree.

Yea you are missing dimensions to the slotted other slotted surface and the other counterbored hole. Also you said you needed a tapped hole from the first drawing but i dont see that anywhere

So assuming symmetry, I think there are no missing dimensions (that is, left holes are 55mm off the left edge, and 20mm off the top/bottom, right holes are 20mm from right/top/bottom); tolerances, perhaps? I suspect based on what this IS that the tolerances are going to be pretty loose besides hole locations, plus counterbore depth being deep enough to cover the bolt heads.

The chamfer dimensions (the 90 degree ones) are pretty confusing,but with the size dimensions of the chamfer make it clear this is a 45 degree chamfer. The top-right view is quite confusing TBH, I THINK it just means that the counterbores for the two holes go all the way down to the 'non chamfered' surface (that is, half way down to the block).

That said, I have no idea how this works. Don't things usually have to bolt TO these tool posts? All I see are 4 spots to bolt this down to the crossslide.

The part is a rectangular block with two diagonal corners milled off, one hole drilled and tapped and four counterbored thru holes.
Actually, I see THIS part, but and realize that in the 2nd PDF that the 'mount hole' disappeared! So the location for the M10x1.5 is the one that is missing.

Yea i said that to him as well. I found him the material on eBay and gave him a price i was willing to do but i havent heard back. Yes assuming symmetry it is pretty easy but i did also spot the M10 missing a asked him about to. Also received no answer.

Yea i said that to him as well. I found him the material on eBay and gave him a price i was willing to do but i havent heard back. Yes assuming symmetry it is pretty easy but i did also spot the M10 missing a asked him about to. Also received no answer.
Not sure what you quoted him, but 4140 or cast iron in 3-5/8" ~3" bar is, even in a ~4" slice is going to be ~$75 minimum (though my metal estimates might be pre-pandemic :) ). MY rule of thumb is 2x materials, so I'm guessing the ~$150 is more than he wanted to spend.

I'd guess that an A36, 6061, or 1018 tool post would be equally as effective for whatever small lathe this is going on, and could save him $$.

Back