• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Solid Tool Post Mount

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MSD0

Decided to replace the compound slide on my PM1127 with a solid tool post mount for an Aloris AXA QCTP. Has virtually eliminated chatter (especially when parting off) and has allowed me to set tool offsets for each tool. I’m planning on using miteebite fixture clamps or something similar to prevent the tool post from rotating View attachment 260150 View attachment 260153

Attachments

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice job on the mount. I made something similar for my lathe recently and the improvement in rigidity was well worth the effort.

Last edited:

MSD0

Nice job on the mount. I made something similar for my lathe recently and the improvement in rigidity was worth the effort.
Thanks, yeah it’s a big improvement on smaller machines like the 1127.
Edit- I still need to try knurling to see how that goes. With the compound, there was a lot of deflection.

Last edited:

Uglydog

Active User
One of the guru machinist (no sarcasm intended) videos recently showed similar.
So that I understand, please confirm that the miteebite fixture clamps will thread into the two threaded holes on the top of the riser.
I'm excited that you are getting better cuts.

Daryl
MN

ttabbal

Was the thickness chosen for a specific reason? I'm sure thicker is better to a point, I'm just not sure what that point would be.

MSD0

One of the guru machinist (no sarcasm intended) videos recently showed similar.
So that I understand, please confirm that the miteebite fixture clamps will thread into the two threaded holes on the top of the riser.
I'm excited that you are getting better cuts.

Daryl
MN
I still need to order the fixture clamps, but I used the offset specified by the manufacturer. If for some reason that doesn’t work, I can always machine a flat on the opposite side of the clamp.

MSD0

Was the thickness chosen for a specific reason? I'm sure thicker is better to a point, I'm just not sure what that point would be.
The thickness is basically equal to the distance from the cross slide to the top of the compound.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I'm pleased to see the T slots in the cross slide, the manufacture recognizes that we like to make our own tooling blocks.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Thanks, yeah it’s a big improvement on smaller machines like the 1127.
Edit- I still need to try knurling to see how that goes. With the compound, there was a lot of deflection.
Use a clamp type knurler. Much better and easier than a 'bumper'.

- EDIT -
RobRenz' video -=- LINK -=-

Need to think about doing this on mine. Since I need to redo the T-Nuts, maybe do up (4) pcs to hold down the block.
1519952907048.png

Last edited:

MSD0

- EDIT -
RobRenz' video -=- LINK-=-

Need to think about doing this on mine. Since I need to redo the T-Nuts, maybe do up (4) pcs to hold down the block.
View attachment 260255
Thanks for the link. I finally figured out how to set tool offsets in my DRO (SINO) and have been numbering all my tool holders. Repeatability has been good so far and it really speeds up jobs that require multiple tools.

jbolt

Active User
I use the mitee bite clamps on mine. They work great for fine tuning. My CXA has a hole in the bottom for a dowel pin which I also use.

MSD0

I use the mitee bite clamps on mine. They work great for fine tuning. My CXA has a hole in the bottom for a dowel pin which I also use.
Good to hear. I wanted something that was adjustable and also removable in case I needed to rotate the tool post.

davidpbest

- EDIT -
RobRenz' video -=- LINK-=-

View attachment 260255
You'll partially defeat the purpose of improving rigidity if you use t-nuts. I tried that approach first, and measurements were not gratifying. Here is what I ended up doing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157684102384825

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
One or two dowel pins?

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
My 1340GT is the first lathe I have owned that I don't feel the need for a solid tool post. But then I don't push my machines like some folks do. And I use a clamp-type knurler. :)

That and I'm always using the compound so removing it would be really silly in my case.

jbolt

Active User
My 1340GT is the first lathe I have owned that I don't feel the need for a solid tool post. But then I don't push my machines like some folks do. And I use a clamp-type knurler. :)

That and I'm always using the compound so removing it would be really silly in my case.
I agree it's not for everyone but it does make a difference. I recently put my compound back on to do some short tapers. Out of laziness I left it on and began working on some shafts. The difference in rigidity was so apparent I stopped and put the solid riser back on. I think of it as another arrow in the quiver. Not much different than swapping out a chuck.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
The design of your compound differs slightly from that on mine, but I don't know if that actually makes a difference.

It could also be that I'm not working on shafts. :)

MSD0

Will definitely check out the clamp style knurler. For comparison, here’s the original compound on the 1127.

Attachments

robotwizard

MSD0

Not much choice on the 1127 as it has t-slots on top of cross slide. I guess one could drill and tap holes further inboard, but would be less effective and could only drill in about 1/2"
The t-slots have worked out fine on the 1127.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
The t-slots have worked out fine on the 1127.
And they should. :) You 'could' make some longer/thicker t-nuts to give a bit more distribution to cutting forces. If you need more than that, maybe you need a larger lathe. :)

jbolt

Active User
The t-slots on the 1127 should be more than substantial for the size of the lathe.

On my PM-1440GT the compound is held on with two small and fairly thin t-nuts. This is the weak link for rigidity. To make things worse, in the 30 degree position one of the t-nuts is within the access hole for the t-nuts.

ToolPost_013.png

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
The t-slots on the 1127 should be more than substantial for the size of the lathe.

On my PM-1440GT the compound is held on with two small and fairly thin t-nuts. This is the weak link for rigidity. To make things worse, in the 30 degree position one of the t-nuts is within the access hole for the t-nuts.

View attachment 268978
Ouch. Can you make thicker, longer and radiused t-nuts that take up more of that round slot? Just thinking out loud.

MSD0

And they should. :) You 'could' make some longer/thicker t-nuts to give a bit more distribution to cutting forces. If you need more than that, maybe you need a larger lathe. :)
That’s actually what I ended up doing. ADB88258-9680-4F91-AA7C-B5068D295247.jpeg

[6]
[5] [7]