Solid Tool Post Mount

I use the mitee bite clamps on mine. They work great for fine tuning. My CXA has a hole in the bottom for a dowel pin which I also use.
Which Mitee Bites did you use?

Not much choice on the 1127 as it has t-slots on top of cross slide. I guess one could drill and tap holes further inboard, but would be less effective and could only drill in about 1/2"
The t-slots have worked out fine on the 1127.

The t-slots have worked out fine on the 1127.

And they should. :) You 'could' make some longer/thicker t-nuts to give a bit more distribution to cutting forces. If you need more than that, maybe you need a larger lathe. :)

The t-slots on the 1127 should be more than substantial for the size of the lathe.

On my PM-1440GT the compound is held on with two small and fairly thin t-nuts. This is the weak link for rigidity. To make things worse, in the 30 degree position one of the t-nuts is within the access hole for the t-nuts.

ToolPost_013.png

The t-slots on the 1127 should be more than substantial for the size of the lathe.

On my PM-1440GT the compound is held on with two small and fairly thin t-nuts. This is the weak link for rigidity. To make things worse, in the 30 degree position one of the t-nuts is within the access hole for the t-nuts.

View attachment 268978

Ouch. Can you make thicker, longer and radiused t-nuts that take up more of that round slot? Just thinking out loud.

Decided to replace the compound slide on my PM1127 with a solid tool post mount for an Aloris AXA QCTP. Has virtually eliminated chatter (especially when parting off) and has allowed me to set tool offsets for each tool. I’m planning on using miteebite fixture clamps or something similar to prevent the tool post from rotating View attachment 260150View attachment 260153

View attachment 260191

View attachment 260192
Thank you for the specs! Going to make this for my LMS lathe. !!!!

Back