[Solved] Moving the Ram

Ceej0103

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
EDIT: I was able to find the answer with a few quick youtube searches. I have a broken lever. Was just going to delete this thread but cant find the option to do that.

Also found a bunch of content on freeing a stuck ram, which seems to be what I'll be doing for the next several days. Time to go invest in some more penetrating oil.

Howdy,

Just picked up my first BP and against the advice of a few, I decided it needed to be torn down, cleaned up, and put back together. Most of the lower aspects of the machine are done with exception of lifting the knee off. I was starting to play around with the turret and ram to see how they worked. The turret seems free and spins 360 degrees. The ram appears to be rusted in place so I soaked it in penetrating oil and will start the process of working it a bit.

So here's the problem I'm facing. According to the manual I have, I am to loosen the two studs in the picture circled in yellow. After, I should be able to move the turret by turning the red circled part. I'm assuming that part has a gear on the internal aspect of the machine that would move the ram. In the manual, this part is similar to those circled in yellow in that you should be able to throw a 3/4" wrench on it to turn it. The part circled in red has a hole in the side and appears to have a broken-off shaft of sorts recessed in it.

Am I correct to assume that my particular BP had a lever of some sort to move the ram, which has been broken off?

Attachments

• Photo Mar 31, 8 20 23 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 31, 8 20 23 AM.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Photo Mar 31, 8 20 33 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 31, 8 20 33 AM.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You are correct. The handle was probably broken off while attempting to move the stuck ram. The handle can only apply enough force to move a ram that is free to move. Can you remove the broken off piece of handle and install a bolt to act as a temporary handle? The ram on my BP was stuck big time and I had to use a jack to apply enough force to get it to move. Take your time and use plenty of penetrant. I use Kroil but a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone works well. Check out the attached rebuild guide. I found it to be very helpful.

Attachments

• bridgeport_j1_head_2_0_01 Rebuild.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
You are correct. The handle was probably broken off while attempting to move the stuck ram. The handle can only apply enough force to move a ram that is free to move. Can you remove the broken off piece of handle and install a bolt to act as a temporary handle? The ram on my BP was stuck big time and I had to use a jack to apply enough force to get it to move. Take your time and use plenty of penetrant. I use Kroil but a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone works well. Check out the attached rebuild guide. I found it to be very helpful.

That PDF is awesome. Thanks!

Another good manual.

Attachments

• Bridgeport Manual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
The ram pinion (circled in red) will probably slide right out if you remove the keeper screw, visible just above the red circle. This allows more access for squirting your penetrating oil in there.

My old Bridgeport ram was seized and had a broken pinion handle the same way as yours. I removed the the pinion, squirted penetrating oil in there and all along the seams in the ram (mark across the seam with a sharpie so you can easily tell if it's moving). Then apply a big woodworkers clamp and let it sit overnight. If it hasn't moved by morning, douse it again with more penetrating oil, reclamp, and let it sit. Once it frees up, run it back and forth numerous times while continuing to douse it with oil.

I had to drill out the broken handle in the pinion. I drilled and tapped one size bigger and got a new handle from McMasters.

My ram freed up pretty easily after being seized for at least 5 years, but I know others can take more effort.

The ram pinion (circled in red) will probably slide right out if you remove the keeper screw, visible just above the red circle. This allows more access for squirting your penetrating oil in there.

My old Bridgeport ram was seized and had a broken pinion handle the same way as yours. I removed the the pinion, squirted penetrating oil in there and all along the seams in the ram (mark across the seam with a sharpie so you can easily tell if it's moving). Then apply a big woodworkers clamp and let it sit overnight. If it hasn't moved by morning, douse it again with more penetrating oil, reclamp, and let it sit. Once it frees up, run it back and forth numerous times while continuing to douse it with oil.

I had to drill out the broken handle in the pinion. I drilled and tapped one size bigger and got a new handle from McMasters.

My ram freed up pretty easily after being seized for at least 5 years, but I know others can take more effort.

I agree use a sharpie to mark the seam so you can see when it starts to move, penetrating oil, more penetrating oil, and more penetrating oil, You can also use a ratchet strap to pull on the ram. eventually you should see it start to move at your sharpie mark just a little bit, change and go the other way and keep going back and forth eventually it should loosen up enough.

EDIT: I was able to find the answer with a few quick youtube searches. I have a broken lever. Was just going to delete this thread but cant find the option to do that.

Definitely leave it here for posterity.
Someone else WILL have this same issue, and there is some great advice above!
-brino

Hello again..

She's free! I actually used the pry-bar method since the ram was hanging off the back of the machine a little. Put a block of wood on one of the 'ribs' in the under side of the ram and pried with some constant pulses against the body of the machine. After about 20 bumps on the pry bar, I felt her give way about 1/2". From there I was able to get it mostly freed up. I can now move the ram to it's extent when moving it towards the back of the machine. When I try to move it forward, I get to about the point where it was frozen and it gets gritty and then stalls. I need to look at some more content on how to remove the ram. If it can come off by moving it all the way to the back of the machine, then I'll be fine. If I have to bring it forward to take it off, I have some more work to do.

I've only had to move my ram once or twice in 4 years. So I move it once a month just encase I need the option. I also put a little synthetic grease on the ways.

Back