Solved: VFD remote wiring issue

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently built a 2x72 grinder that I’m powering with a 2hp three phase motor controlled by an HY (popular low cost eBay model) 2.2KW VFD. All the parameters were set and I’ve been testing the grinder using the VFD panel and everything was working great. I could run the motor between 0 and 70 Hz which were the parameters I had set.

Tonight I wired up the remote so I could complete the permanent installation and ran into a problem. I wired a simple toggle switch for on/off and that works fine. I wired a 5K potentiometer to control the frequency through the 5V in and 5V out terminals on the VFD as directed in the manual. The potentiometer does control the frequency and it increases as I turn it clockwise however the VFD always accelerates up to 53.65Hz on startup and the potentiometer will only adjust between 53.65 and 70.

I’ve been back through all the parameters and don’t see what might be causing this.

Any help would be appreciated, let me know what other information would be helpful in diagnosing.

Thanks!
Mark

Last edited:
"I wired a 5K potentiometer to control the frequency through the 5V in and 5V out terminals on the VFD as directed in the manual. "

It should have 5v in, 5 v out, and ground.

"I wired a 5K potentiometer to control the frequency through the 5V in and 5V out terminals on the VFD as directed in the manual. "

It should have 5v in, 5 v out, and ground.
Yes i have it wired to 5V in, 5V out and ground.

Darn, I was hoping it would be something simple.

If you have a multimeter, I would check the 5v in to see what the readings are at each end of the knob travel.

Since you get some response from the pot, I'm thinking more on the lines of a bad pot, or wiring. Maybe try adjusting the top freq, to a value lower then the 53.6, and see how it behaves. Then maybe try setting the lower limit higher then the 53.6. Reverse the 5v out, and ground lines.

My first one was frustrating. I just sat down, reread the parameter section,and made a list of what I think each parameter should be. Then compared them to what the VFD had.

I would not set it for 0HZ, as the bottom limit. I think you can hurt the motor, or even break the concentrated smoke cylinder. Unless it is a motor rated to run off a VFD, then I would put the bottom limit at something like 40 or 50.

See below, you need to change the jumper J1 position between 2 and 3 to 1 and 2. The manual has an error in the wording for the jumper position change. You need to set Pd002 = 001. The minimum frequency default is 0.5 Hz. Doesn't matter what it is set too, it just sets the lower bound of the range. You aren't running it at that speed. You must be using terminals VR is +10, VI is the sweep and ACM (GND). Do not use +5V The ACM is not earth ground but the 0V/NEG of the internal power supply. E is earth ground for the shield.

Thanks for the replies.

Super - I'll check the voltage when I get home. I'm always worried about that smoke cylinder. :tranquility:

mksj - My VFD is slightly different - there is no jumper set up. My pot is connected to the 5VIn, 5VOut and GND (which as you mentioned is the 0V power source ground - not earth. I've included an excerpt from my manual below.

That looks like the book that came with my Chinese VFD. There is a setting you have to change to get it to use the external pot. It sounds like you might have found it already, but you might want to double check. I can get the details when I get home tonight, but I think it's to set the frequency control to voltage (not potentiometer). And double check the voltage with a meter, just to make sure.

What kind of pot are you using? Make sure it's linear taper. An audio taper will seem all kinds of weird.

I got my meter out and quickly figured out that I had a bad ground.

This was a user error on my part - I used an old parallel printer cable for my control cable and among the 26 wires there were two blue ones. I had one blue soldered to the ground terminal on my potentiometer and a different blue connected to the ground terminal on the VFD. Once I connected the correct wire to the ground terminal things worked perfectly - the potentiometer now gives me the full range from min to max frequency.

Thanks for the replies!

That will do it every time! Glad you got it figured out.

Good deal, thanks for coming back. I have 7 of those VFD's. Still using the control panels, but want to wire in the remote switches and Pot, this summer.

Back