Some 1911 Slide Work

dclevinger

Registered
Registered
I've had the PM932 for a couple of weeks now and have been cutting scrap just to get the feel for it and make sure I have everything dialed in. Felt comfortable enough for some "paying" work today. The slide is off of a Colt Lightweight Commander in 38 super. I'm doing a few things to it but today I flat topped the slide, cut the front dovetail for a new sight and serrated the top to match what is done on Gold Cups, 75 lpi going by one that I have in the shop. The sight is a blank that will be custom cut so the pistol shoots point of aim. It will be about half that tall when it is finished. So far I am pretty happy with the mill.
20150822_205911_zpscrd6c3bi.jpg
David

Nice work! What did you use to cut the serrations?

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work! What did you use to cut the serrations?

Stan,
Thanks Stan. I used the 60 degree carbide saw and arbor from EGW. I usually use a carbide thread mill but opted for the saw on this one.

Gotcha, thanks. The thread mill is a good idea, wouldn't have thought of that

Stan,

I don't usually come to this Forum but once in a while something catches my eye. That is a piece of work. Cant wait to see the end result.

"Billy G"

Here are some pics of another slide. Dovetails front and rear this time. As well as these cuts came out I am comfortable with anything I will need to do with this machine. Got a nice, light tight fit all the way around. Very happy!

Novak style rear sight cut. DT size is .495" x 65 degree.
20150828_214148_zpshgwyc78p.jpg

1440857994758_zpsjpe1vjsp.jpg

20150828_214148_zpshgwyc78p.jpg

1440857994758_zpsjpe1vjsp.jpg

Looks great! I do cosmetic cuts/lightening on slides, but no cutting dovetails for me - at least until I get scales and a DRO for my mini mill.

Back