Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Clausing 5914 lathe , I've read some things about it , from the internet brochure that model has 2 HP 3 phase motor , this one supposed to have 240v single , I'm going from the fellow who bought it to resell so that needs to be one of the first things to find out that might be a big problem . First question of many is ,,,. It didn't come with a tailstock just a turret set-up . I would think it should be repeatable so one opening could be used as a center ? The brochure also said it has a headstock internal taper of 4 1/2 MT . That seems to be odd ? Right now it doesn't have a chuck on it but some kind of an adapter that I thought was for a collet set-up but I'm hoping it's to adapt to a 3MT so I could standard ( to my thinking " ) centers and such . The one faceplate has some kind of shop made holding clamps . Didn't get any dogs to go with them . It came with a 3 jaw chuck but no extra chuck jaws , I'll have to look if the jaws are bolted on if not there's going to be another issue .

You are correct on the MT 4 1/2 spindle . There is an adapter MT-4 1/2 to MT3 . Spindle is a L00 mount . You could use a center in the turret , you may lose clearance though . Does the turret have a locking mechanism ? L00 tooling is available but seems to sell quickly .

I wouldn't be concerned about the MT 3 taper in the spindle , just turn up a center in your 3 jaw and be done with it .

The 3 jaw chuck had reversible jaws and 3 wires coming from the conduit are green , red and white so from what people tell me the seller was correct that it's 240v single phase .

What would be the correct way to remove the spindle adapter on the headstock ? I'm thinking a round wooden dowel from the backside ? I haven't checked but hope it's to bring the headstock's 4 1/2 MT to 3MT .

What would be the correct way to remove the spindle adapter on the headstock ? I'm thinking a round wooden dowel from the backside ? I haven't checked but hope it's to bring the headstock's 4 1/2 MT to 3MT .

Can you post a picture? If the adapter you are trying to remove can be seen projecting from the spindle - it may be a 5C collet adapter - used with a collet closer. Usually there is also a thread protector covering the threads held on by the large nut (the one used to attached the L00 chuck). When you unscrew the nut to remove the thread protector- it pushes the protector out and will eject the collet adapter. At least that is how mine works.
Jim

I just went out and took some pictures and I think your right about a 5C collet adapter Might not see in the picture but there’s a small key sticking inside

Attachments

• 38435B3E-0125-443B-8039-B8B21EF3CA01.jpeg
    38435B3E-0125-443B-8039-B8B21EF3CA01.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • C69A032E-6B77-4765-826B-90716CE402C9.jpeg
    C69A032E-6B77-4765-826B-90716CE402C9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
I see they make a 5C to ER32 adapter I have already some ER32 collets , I would need to figure out how to that adapter to the one that's on the lathe , maybe too many adapters ?

You will probably be better off getting some 5C collets, putting an adapter into an adapter is just asking for runout IMHO....

JOhn

I just went out and took some pictures and I think your right about a 5C collet adapter Might not see in the picture but there’s a small key sticking inside
Yes - That looks like a collet adapter. Since there is no spindle protector to help eject it out - you could maybe rig up a puller (like an internal bearing
puller?) I personally would try a few light taps to with an aluminum rod from the back first. But I would not risk hitting it very hard to damage the bearings or head casting.

I think I've seen where someone made a 5c draw bar ( maybe " closer " is correct ? ) , might be a nice project for me . I wonder if a faceplate ( drive plate ? ) could be put on , and a center installed in a 5c collet ? That would save me from trying to find a 4 1/2MT to 3MT adapter ,

Back