Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

I had to figure out how to lock the turret , this might not be the best choice but drilled and tapped a 5/16-18 hole to push against the gibb , it seems like it will work . If anyone knows what that tool holder on the right would be used for ? DSCN2510.JPG

The tool on the right is just a drill/reamer holder that you can align to the center of the spindle. You can flip the top clamp over to increase the capacity of the holder.
Greg

I had a piece of 1 1/4" plate steel that was band sawed into something like a hexagon .Mostly for practice and to have something for a future project . There's quite a bit of backlash in the crosslide would that cause the handwheel to back off even on .030 cuts ? On my little lathe there's a set-screw to lock the crosslide but not on the Clausing . I'm thinking maybe drill the crosslide and tap it like I did with the turret Any other suggestions ?

Last edited:
Some of the "backlash" may just be play in the thrust bearing behind the handle. Loosen the allen set screw on the collar behind the handle and tighten the handle retaining nut to remove any play (but not too tight), then tighten the set screw back up.

This lathe has taper gibs is there any harm doing what I did to the turret ?

I am not sure if I would do that to my lathe, but my Rockwell mill has tapered gibs with knobs for locking that push up against the gibs. On the Rockwell there is a short piece of rod in front of the screw that is faced at the same angle as the gib so it applies somewhat even pressure and does not rotate into the gib.

You could also just screw the tapered gib in tighter. (and Loosen a bit if using it).

That's a split nut scroll assembly for the apron Alcap . What its used for ? :dunno: I still have the 5917 and am tooling it up , so still following all 5900 posts . :grin:

Back