Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

I did a search about an adapter and someone here said Grizzly sells them so I ordered the 4 1/2 to 3MT adapter and a few other things

Concur with Rata222 that it is likely the 5c collet adapter and it can be tapped out with a rod from behind.

You should double check on the actual installed motor as 5914 originally came with 2HP 3 phase.

The native spindle taper is often referred to as 4.5MT but this is not well standardized so you need to be cautious with replacement adapters. Grizzly sells a 4.5MT/3MT adapter but the outer taper is not the same and you will need to recut it to fit, a tricky operation. Although I have the (recut) adapter I find myself using a home-made center held in a chuck and touched up after mounting to ensure zero runout.

I also have the 5c adapter and quick release mechanism but I do not have any 5c collets and have not used it. I do have an ER32 collet chuck and collet set which I find quite useful for smaller work. This is mounted on an L00 backplate further machined to fit the chuck. I have done similar with an 8" 4J chuck and was lucky enough to find a decent native 3J L00 chuck. You will need to decide on your priorities here but may likely need to do something similar. The 3J that came with my lathe was junk.

EDIT:
There was some discussion on the "IO" group about parting out a couple of 59XX lathes, maybe you could get a tailstock from someone there. Be prepared for some fitting/alignment as I thought these were custom bored to a given lathe bed.

See:

Last edited:
Although I have the (recut) adapter I find myself using a home-made center held in a chuck and touched up after mounting to ensure zero runout.
I wouldn't be concerned about the MT 3 taper in the spindle , just turn up a center in your 3 jaw and be done with it .

Not sure why you're so concerned with the MT4 1/2 to 3 .

Not sure why you're so concerned with the MT4 1/2 to 3 .

The 4.5MT/3MT sleeve is the old school way to mount a 3MT center for doing between center turning. You typically also need a dog plate or face plate and dogs. Like I said, you can get by just fine using a chuck and home made center.

Yep , that's what I told him . :grin:

Yep, I’m with you. I have that adapter somewhere??? Never ever needed it. I also can’t remember the last time I turned between centers??? But, everybody has different projects in there Hobby Shop, so… And your pics show an adaptor installed in the nose of the headstock spindle. And that is probably a “L00” headstock spindle nose.

The adapter came out easier then I thought , just stuck a piece of aluminum tube and a slight tap with a hammer and popped off . machpete99 you said the adapter that I just ordered from Grizzly will need to be machined to fit ? That stinks !

Concur with Rata222 that it is likely the 5c collet adapter and it can be tapped out with a rod from behind.

You should double check on the actual installed motor as 5914 originally came with 2HP 3 phase.

The native spindle taper is often referred to as 4.5MT but this is not well standardized so you need to be cautious with replacement adapters. Grizzly sells a 4.5MT/3MT adapter but the outer taper is not the same and you will need to recut it to fit, a tricky operation. Although I have the (recut) adapter I find myself using a home-made center held in a chuck and touched up after mounting to ensure zero runout.

I also have the 5c adapter and quick release mechanism but I do not have any 5c collets and have not used it. I do have an ER32 collet chuck and collet set which I find quite useful for smaller work. This is mounted on an L00 backplate further machined to fit the chuck. I have done similar with an 8" 4J chuck and was lucky enough to find a decent native 3J L00 chuck. You will need to decide on your priorities here but may likely need to do something similar. The 3J that came with my lathe was junk.

EDIT:
There was some discussion on the "IO" group about parting out a couple of 59XX lathes, maybe you could get a tailstock from someone there. Be prepared for some fitting/alignment as I thought these were custom bored to a given lathe bed.

See:
Clausing 5900 series models

On the Grizzly 4.5MT/3MT sleeve try putting some bluing/dykem on it and move it around in the spindle. Likely it only touches on the largest diameter, at least that is what I found. There is enough meat on there to recut it, just have to be careful you don't go too far (and leave opportunity to recheck/recut). You need a way to chuck it too which means having a straight/MT3 adapter or test bar.

Back