Some general lathe questions and some specific ones on a Clausing 5914 lathe

FWIW.... Grizzly sells that adapter. That’s where I got mine from. But it still cost me around 75.00 from Grizzly compared to the average of 125.00 for the ones listed on eBay.
If I knew then what I know now... I would have passed on the adapter. I really haven’t had the need for it and for many operations one can get by their need for mounting between dead centers by just mounting a round rod in their three jaw chuck and then turning a 60 degree point on the round rod.
Anyway.... if you really need...let me know and I can probably find the part number for the Grizzly adapter.
Also...as others mentioned.... Groups.io Clausing is a great resource for everything Clausing. The Burke Machine tool Groups.io is great too.

Tim9 , I have the adapter ordered and should be coming soon , others mentioned just chucking a center in the 3 jaw . I guess between getting old and not doing this sort of work for 40 years I'm finding I'm a little forgetful . When I was in HS taking Machine Shop at the votech they had a paid position 2-4 nights a week handing out tools form the tool crib for the adult night class . I learned a lot from that teacher . He had his students do all their between center work using a 3 jaw and center in it . I wish I could remember everything lol . I'm thinking about mounting the faceplate and on the inside it's tapered to the front edge . If I take a few cuts to have internal diameter that has a width of say 1/8" so I could put a locating sleeves on to register different fixtures , 4 jaw chuck ect that might be anther project .

others mentioned just chucking a center in the 3 jaw .

Alcap... I believe what they are saying is put a piece of round bar in the 3 jaw and turn a 60° point - then you know it runs true with your spindle.
And your not alone... I am the age I have to acknowledge that I forget a LOT these days also. Funny... years ago, as my dad got older - he would ask me how to do something-and I remember thinking that it was odd because he was the one that taught me how to do it.
Getting older - but having Fun!

Make yourself something like the pic below. No critical dimensions other than the 60* included angle.
The step in in the diameter keeps it from moving into the chuck in use.
Ideally you should use something durable like 4140-PH but can be whatever is on hand.
Stick it in any chuck and touch up the angle so it is perfectly concentric and you are ready to rock.

Attachments

• center_homemade.jpg
    center_homemade.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 31
A single phase motor on a lathe will usually have 5 wires coming from it (1 is ground). This allows you to wire it to reversing contactors. If you truly have a single phase non-reversible motor, it should be good to get you started, but you should plan on the expense of replacing it in the future. Not being able to reverse the lathe is limiting IMO.

Tailstock turret probably isn't a bad thing, and perhaps it could be valuable in its own right if you ever need to do repetitive work like making bushings. Owners may still have the original tailstock stashed somewhere.

If you can post pictures we might be able to provide a little more insight on the lathe.

The fellow I bought it from bought it from a machine shop and he said it didn’t come with a tail stock The three wires I saw where sticking out of metal conduit guessing from a junction box

Got the lathe where I think it’s best Owners manual said to use the special feet under the adjusting screws but I didn’t get them Does anyone know what I should use ?

The temperatures warmed up the whole garage is sweating my hand tools in my boxes are soaked . On the plus side I mopped the floor to get the water off so it's looking cleaner then before .

Attachments

• 6D88A9B2-9836-47BF-A325-CDA09299C002.jpeg
    6D88A9B2-9836-47BF-A325-CDA09299C002.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
67 down here right now . Floors were soaked in here at work and I'm afraid to see what I find in the garage in a few hours . I don't think I have feet other than the leveling bolts but I'll check when I get home . You could just machine up some aluminum "feet" . You planning on lagging it down ?

In the owners manual it said it didn't need to be mounted so I'll try it without first The leveling feet are hollow so a stud or lag can go through once it's leveled . Another item I'll see if I can borrow , a machinist level . Hope to start cleaning it up and checking the drive system this week .

Back