Some may relate, others not.... but a valid question none the less

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
I am a tall person, 6'5" to be exact. My issue is the world of anything basically is just not designed for such big sexy men, like myself. Especially older machinery, such as a 1947 Logan Lathe. Which brings me to my question.
Aside from building a taller bench with which to mount the lathe to, how have others accomplished raising their machinery to match our taller statures?

My concern is with limiting vibration and ensuring expected accuracy from the machine.

Thanks

Richard

For my PM1440GT, I turned some 6" aluminum round into 4" tall feet. The factory leveling screws rest in divots machined into the top of each foot. There have been zero negative side effects.
JBolt did a much fancier job on his, which can be viewed on his thread PM1440GT HAS LANDED.

I have seen many shops use round slugs of stock to make feet for their lathes. I would call metal saw cutting shops to see if they had any drops for a cheaper way to go. But I think you could just use coffee cans with cement in them to do the job.

Whenever I do dishes at the kitchen sink I think of cutting a recess in the floor!
Let the wife put a board over it when she's there.
I usually end up with my feet about 2' apart so I'm not hunched over too far.

JBolt did a much fancier job on his, which can be viewed on his thread PM1440GT HAS LANDED.
Hey dpb, I did a search for that thread and came up dry. Got a link?

Thanks,
-brino

Here is the link for jBolts thread. The stands are on page 2

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-pm-1440gt-has-landed.50194/

I have considered many things, but like many still have done nothing. One top contender for my mill, is to make a block of reinforced concrete, 6 or so inches thick, for the VN22 mill to sit on (Poured in place, but able to easily be removed after I am gone, returning the shop to a normal garage). For the lathe, I have been considering a costum base made fro 2" square tubing, or similar, that also functions as a tool cabinet holder. I have seen many good ideas, and will likely see many others before I ever get around to doing anything.

For my PM1440GT, I turned some 6" aluminum round into 4" tall feet. The factory leveling screws rest in divots machined into the top of each foot. There have been zero negative side effects.

Factory Leveling Screws? I got no such animal with my PM1440LBE. I just leveled it with shim stock.

Need to get you a 15" Sheldon lathe.

I have mine on 2 x 8 runners with leveling wedges under it. It's so high now I have a hard time looking to see what I'm cutting on and I'm 5" 10".

I need to raise my Summit 17x80. The width of the carriage makes you bend over to see in a bore. Gets real hard on the back.

Greg

For.my enco 13x40 I built a 2x3 tube steel frame, welded it together and bolted it to the bottom of the base. I did not need to go as high, I am 5'11". It's a good working height now. The cabinet, frame combo jbolt did is pretty awesome

Last edited:
Back