Some more newby projects

bigloudvtwin

Registered
Registered
Since I got the lathe I've been camped out in the garage practicing. Here's a few things I've done
Built this little .22 cal cannon the trunions are interference fit by.001 (heated cannon, cooled trunions).
Threaded my .22 cal pellet gun muzzle 1/2"x28tpi (took 2 tries and 1.5" of barrel!)
Built the 3 standoffs for the restored lead melter (threaded on both ends)
Made a pilot for my case trimmer to fit .338 case mouth ($14 on internet)
Last but not least, a handle for my combo rest on the lathe itself (the original fell off during transport to my house).
I thought the threads might be metric pitch but they were 20 tpi. YAY. .308 OD . Chucked up an old grade 8 bolt and went to turning.
I don't know how to cut metric threads yet. I can't discern or understand the chart on the lathe yet. Will probably post again for help on that.
Happy machining to all!

22cannon.jpg

casetrimpilot.jpg

comboresthandle.jpg

leadmelter.jpg

pelletgunmuzzle.jpg

You're a busy bee- how do you like your Bostar tool post? Any problems with it?
Mark

It works just fine for me. I wouldn't know the difference between a good or bad one to tell you the truth. I do know once you set the height index, you can swap back and forth and not lose center. It's what was on the lathe when I bought it.

Adding a note to my OP. I originally started to turn the combo rest handle out of a pc of titanium I've had laying around for years. Now on another web forum I read a thread where several folks were going back and forth about their titanium either catching fire or not and arguing back and forth as to the flammability of it.
Let me tell you, the particular alloy I have will burn very well!
When I was just skimming the round to true it up the shavings were just like steel wool so gathered it up and set it outside on the ground, Got close with my zippo and whoosh. The stuff goes up like gunpowder (storing this in my head for a later date Hee Hee). It obviously has a lot of magnesium in it as when burning it WILL blind you.
Anyways, after the burn test I was being very careful when turning to not build up too much heat and to evacuate the chips/threads often.
At the end of one pass I got into the shoulder I put in it with the tool and saw just a slight hint of "bright white Light".
It was at this point I unchucked the titanium and put it back in my scrap heap for use as a bearing punch or drift later.
Ok Rant over. Just sharing

Back