some questions on inserts

rambin

Registered
Registered
im just getting into the machinging thing and don't know too much about the tooling... after I bought a 10' lathe I was given a box of mixed inserts, I don't have a holder for them or know exactly what they are for... so I have a few questions
1) are they too big for my lathe? or is there such a thing?
2) is it worth buying a tool that will hold them
3)several different shapes what are they all for?

I'm assuming every different shaped insert takes a different holder? heres the pics of the inserts I have a few of some and a dzn of others...

20180127_134311.jpg

20180127_134328.jpg

20180127_134340.jpg

20180127_134410.jpg

20180127_134424.jpg

20180127_134438.jpg

20180127_134455.jpg

20180127_134513.jpg

You mean a 10" lathe?
I'd say probably, bunch of those have zero clearance angle for negative rake holders.
You have a threading insert there, the round is a forming insert the others are turning inserts. There is one I don't know what it is.
They look beat to me.

yes I have a 10" by 24 " lathe... im quite certain these came out of a big industrial shop b4 they were given to me... that's what im curious on are they any good to me? or tooo large? I really don't think there beat by any means, there mostly new with out marks of any use.... some have one corner used. most are untouched

Okay I stand corrected.
Unless you make your own tool holder probably not any good to you with that size lathe.
Most of those look pretty large so probably 3/4" holder would be the minimum size.
What is the max rpm of your lathe? What kind is it?

Here's a chart I got off the web someplace. Might help you ID the inserts and sizes. As ddickey notes above, they at least look used, but may still be functional. Hit eBay and search for insert tools. Pick an insert style and do the search and you'll see many options for less than $2 per insert. I've used some Sandvik, Carboloy (sp?), ISCAR and Chinese insets and haven't noticed much difference. But as they say on TV, "your results may vary".

I've had pretty good luck with stuff from eBay seller "zimi-hk". You have to wait a month for shipping from China if you order from them.

Bruce

Inserts.png

its just a lil 700 series mong/wards logan.... with an axa holder. think it turns max around 1200 or 1300 rpm. the inserts were given to me I have no money invested just want to know if there worth getting a holder for... I guess every shape would take a different holder? I don't know the name brand on them but I would figure there sandvik or one of the other big names. industrial mills wouldn't be bothered with Chinese stuff

Back