Some Useful Lathe Tools

I work on outboard an inboard motors I got a Shop in Clarksville Tennessee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

they had it hooked up and running I'm in the process of opening up automotive machine shop I just got a real good deal on that I have a small jet we been using I'm I'm closing up for tonight the shop up and head to the house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

In the states we call those BFH

Or Big F***** Hammer. A very useful tool in the auto repair industry.

If you haven't fixed it, you didn't use a big enough hammer. (old marine engineers saying.)

In the millwrights we called em Beaters. Had to be minimum 2.5 lbs.
This was carried up to 16 lbs when they were rated as sledge hammers.
No! Not 8lb 10lb or even 12lb with a long handle. Still beaters.
Spent many hours swinging a 20 lb sledge while balancing on a turbine shell.
Then came the hydraulic wrenches and they were the best thing since fire was invented.
Sorry. Just needed to ramble.

In the millwrights we called em Beaters. Had to be minimum 2.5 lbs.
This was carried up to 16 lbs when they were rated as sledge hammers.
No! Not 8lb 10lb or even 12lb with a long handle. Still beaters.
Spent many hours swinging a 20 lb sledge while balancing on a turbine shell.
Then came the hydraulic wrenches and they were the best thing since fire was invented.
Sorry. Just needed to ramble.

In my early days as a marine engineer I can remember using a 28 lb sledge on a flogging spanner tightening the nuts on a cylinder head of a large marine diesel engine.

Last edited:
I find it very strange that no one have mentioned digital readout, it's one of the very best upgrades you can make for your lathe (and mill for that matter)
Never felt the need. Does it make the machine any more accurate, or does it just compensate for lack of machinist skills. It's a bit like driving a car with auto trans, you're not driving only stearing it.

Speaking of Auto trans, I remember as a teenager that we used to say auto was invented for people who live in San Francisco, because most roads are on steep inclines and and every cross treet has traffic lights, and most people couldn't cope with clutch starts.

Last edited:
A DRO has two advantages, at least for me:
(1) It saves counting turns. This is especially nice with Chinese tools that have metric leadscrews and pseudo-inch calibrations on the dials, or else 1/16" pitch leadscrews. It's always a challenge to convert an inch measurement to turns in these circumstances. Yes, it can be done. But when I'm machining, I want to use the limited bandwidth of my aging brain to decide on details other than keeping track of turns.
(2) It lets you know where you are (OK ... where the tool is) regardless of backlash. You don't have to keep track of which way you last turned the crank. Think of using an edge finder to find the center of a part, where you have to approach opposite faces from opposite directions. Again, it can be done. But to do a good job, you have to know the amount of backlash to a gnat's eyelash. Very easy to make a mistake.

YMMV

Back