• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Someone took the term "Engine Lathe" to heart

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Eddyde

Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Looks like there is some sort of linkage between the head and tailstock, any ideas what its function?

GoceKU

I like this idea, it adds lots of weight for cheap, this is something i may copie in the future

Cadillac

Definitely being resourceful with what's at hand. Theirs some weight to that lathe. Woodworking lathe for sure. I'm gonna say the "linkage" at the back is just his way of pivoting arms that hold his lathe tools. Kind of like a lazy Susan for the long chisel tools they use.

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have a metal lathe and a wood lathe. I would not want this to replace either of my lathes. It is unique, but that does not make it worth the asking price - at least for me.

Eddyde

Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
It is purely a wood lathe, but yeah, kind of pricy. Also, the seller has it as "local pick up only" that will severely limit the market.

f350ca

Active User
On the first forum I joined a LONG time ago there was a member went by Conrod. He used connecting rods from engines for a multitude of things. He made a horizontal mill using a cast iron 4 cylinder engine for the body. Was quite rigid and he produced some amazing parts on it.

Greg

kd4gij

Active User
Looks like there is some sort of linkage between the head and tailstock, any ideas what its function?

Per your link it is to swing the tail stock out of the way so you don't have to lift it.

kd4gij

Active User

Per your link it is to swing the tail stock out of the way so you don't have to lift it.

Jake2465

Launch control and nitrous purge is needed when machining 4140. Have that puppy bouncing off the rev limiter.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
That's pretty cool, what a great way to utilize scrap 4cyl blocks. Pretty ugly though IMO. :)

The block for the headstock, they could've made a 4 spindle lathe!

[6]
[5] [7]