Something a Little Different

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have outgrown my bench-top drill press and was looking for a full size model but I also need a small mill for doing second ops from the CNC or for doing small tasks that don't warrant the CNC. Unfortunately I do not have room for both.

So a few weeks ago I posted in the Griz forum looking for feedback on the G0751 Heavy Duty drill press. It is a large column drill press with a milling head and a small X Y table. Seemed like just the ticket but I could not find any online reviews or videos. I did get feedback from one member who has looked at one in the showroom but that was about the extent of it.

It just so happened that Matt was snooping the forum and saw my post. Low and behold he has essentially the same machine sitting in his warehouse that they got as a sample from the factory but decided it was not the sort of machine they wanted to sell.

It is a one off PM branded machine. Matt made me a great offer with the caveat that there was no warranty.

So here is the one and only PM-932D. Thanks Matt!

20170207_215800.png
20170207_212559.png

Hi jbolt
Looks like you have a very interesting machine. The built in xy table is a particularly nice feature
Does it have a return spring on the spindle downfeed like a normal drill press so its easy to peck?
Also how are you coping with only two handles 180 deg apart? I often find that even with three handles 120 apart on my drill press I often have to use two hands to get an even feed.
I suppose next it will have 3 phase motor and vfd for variable speed then of course it needs a DRO:):):):)
Cheers
Ron

Wow! That is a seriously cool drill press - power down feed, beefy table support, DRO for Z, milling and tapping modes, reversible, 6 speeds and coolant pump. That on top of a small milling head. What's not to like?

Nice score. Sometimes your just in the right place at the right time. Cheers, Mike

Nice! Kinda looks like a floor model milling machine. Does it have power down feed?

Tom S.

I just took delivery yesterday so I have not had time to play around with the power down feed and the tapping features. The head is basically the same as a PM-932. I was surprised how quiet it is compared to my PM-932 before I did the belt drive conversion. I'm assuming the power down feed works the same as the PM-932-PDF model.

It's a beast of a drill press at 800 lbs. It was fun to get off the double stack pallest and into place with only a 1 ton engine hoist, a floor jack and a toe jack.

I did have Matt put together a basic DRO package for the X Y table. Easson 8A with glass scales. I hope to get that installed in the next couple of days.

I'm most curious about the tram in the Y direction. The head rotates so the X is adjustable. If the Y is off I will have to shim at the head rotating joint.

I like the the head can move up and down as well as the table. The table is heavy and kind of a pain to crank by hand. I saved the Z power motor from y PM-932 as well as the table power feed so I figure figure out a way to use those on this machine.

It still has the typical round column issue of not being able to keep position when raising and lowering the head or table. For my purposes that is not a concern. The column is really stout so the rigidity should be okay for what I intent to use it for. Of course I will immediately try to exceed that.

The only quirks I have found so far is the X axis lead screw is too long so the ends stick out too far for the hand wheels to be properly secured. Some simple spacers will fix that. The other is the mill head hangs out so far that only about 2/3 of the table Y travel is under the spindle.

that sure is a snazzy hybrid, good luck with your new machine.
Dan

Go download the parts list from Grizzly and manual. That may be your source of parts since Matt is not continuing with it. And a current manual and parts list should match yours at this point.

Nice score.

I was looking at the Grizzly 751 also then I went to Matts place and bought the 932 plane Jane. I like it a lot. I was concerned about changing tools and loosing my zero. I thought the way you can spin your head around might be handy but just how many times would you need it. Good luck with the new machine.

Back