Son wanted a compensator for his .22

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
He asked me what it would take for me to build it for him. I told him I would teach him how to do it and we could plan it out together. He agreed, so we set off on the adventure together.

Of course we started with planning. I asked him what he wanted his .22 to look like, I explained that a compensator on a .22 isn't really effective so it is just for looks so we might as well make it look cool. So he whipped out his phone and showed me a picture of the compensator on a Barrett .50 cal. This looks cool dad!

I had to talk him back from that, explaining I don't have a welder yet and that style of comp would be really hard to machine from a solid block using a lathe and mill. Plus I really didn't have a suitable chunk of metal to make it out of. So we looked over some other models and decided to make something easier and still cool looking.

So we went to the basement and looked over the stock of metal and picked out a 1-1/4" round bar of 6061 and then a pencil and paper and drew it up roughly. We decided 3" was a good length and cut off a piece slightly longer. Took him to the lathe and we faced off 1 end and he faced the other off on his own. Then I set the drill chuck in the tail stock and put in a center drill and showed him how to use the hand wheel to advance the drill. Then I picked out a 1/4" drill and let him take the center drill out and out the drill in. He did well until the hole got deep enough the chips needed to be cleared by pulling back the tail stock but I helped him through it.

I got a 7/16" drill and showed him how to watch the graduation on the tail stock to only go 3/4" into the part. We bored it to .454 3/4" deep. Tapping was next, 1/2x28. I ran the tail stock while he turned the tap wrench until it got too hard for him to turn, he's 12 so I had to let him run the tail stock while I took it to full depth.

Then we went to the mill and took 1/4" off one side and flipped it and started to take 1/4" off the opposite side but it was bed time for him. He had Scouts all day today so when he got home we finished up the other side and then set up to drill some holes in the sides.

Unfortunately, it rained hard last night and there is some water in the shop so we cut it short after we got the holes in the sides drilled. He wants to do some slots in the sides to dress it up a bit so when the floor isn't wet we will get on that. Now I am looking at ways to raise the level of the floor and create some drainage channels to carry the water away from the "shop".

I really dont want to be "that guy" but to keep you and your son safe please read the law on that particular piece of a firearm. They can be legally made so long as you follow the law and pay the fee , usually done before any work starts on the piece.......Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

I really dont want to be "that guy" but to keep you and your son safe please read the law on that particular piece of a firearm. They can be legally made so long as you follow the law and pay the fee , usually done before any work starts on the piece.......Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
Compensators? Are you thinking of a silencer? I never heard of an issue with compensators.

Compensators? Are you thinking of a silencer? I never heard of an issue with compensators.
Sorry I misread that bigtime, compensators are not what i was thinking about and are ok as far as im aware. I seen silencer, must have been the movie i was watching at the time!

I was thinking silencer at first, and I even have several long guns with compensators.

ATF Compliance is my "real job" so I am familiar with the laws regarding suppressors and how hellinois will not let us have anything on the NFA list with the exception of SBR's for reenactment purposes. No this is just a simple single chamber compensator, it is going on a .22 so no real need that it work to reduce recoil or muzzle rise, just needs to look cool for the kid.

If anything it will make the rifle louder at least from the point of the shooter as it will direct some gas to the sides instead of out the front.

I appreciate the concern but I have managed to keep on the right side of the law for 50 years and don't foresee any going to the dark side short of a zombie apocalypse.

I will post up some pictures later when he finishes it.

No this is just a simple single chamber compensator, it is going on a .22 so no real need that it work to reduce recoil or muzzle rise, just needs to look cool for the kid.

If anything it will make the rifle louder at least from the point of the shooter as it will direct some gas to the sides instead of out the front.

Lol now that Im reading it I can now clearly see why i made that very embarrassing "That Guy" mistake! When i read the post the voice in my head started yelling at me, "Who puts a Comp on a .22!!!" And then to answer that question the pragmatic half of the old noodle suggested, "hmmm, must be a typo.....what he really meant was a Suppressor, aka Silencer ala pew-pew-pew! I mean heck yeah Id love a silencer on the .22 just to keep my ears from sweating in the muffs only without the fees! Not an uncommon thought in the firearm world!
Anywho thats my story and im sticking to it :idea:

Back