Soon to be a PM-935T-S owner

Some work and a mod.

I haven't updated this in a while so here's a pic of some small work along with a mod I made. I have a 3 axis DRO but didn't have anything to measure quill movement. My gunsmithing instructor had this setup so I decided to duplicate it the best I could. Works well.

Nice Tim.:thumbsup2: Wow the more I look at this machine the more excited I am getting to get mine delivered, in the shop and running. The fit, finish and overall quality look very nice on that machine.

Thanks again for posting up the pictures.

Mike.

The Z-axis for the DRO will be on the knee not the quill. For reference the knee is usually adjusted on a knee style mill more so than the quill for measured cuts. The quill is usually used for depth of cuts on a benchtop mill/drill due to convenience. Usually the quill is locked against a stop, then the work is brought up to the tool and the depth is set by the knee. I generally move the knee up to about .010" shy for rough cutting and them move up that last .010" for the final all with the knee with the quill against the stop and locked. Maybe others do it differently and hopefully they will chime in. I haven't been "formally" trained, just that is how I do it on our BP clone at work.

I am still going to fabricate a fixture to hold a linear digital scale for my quill much like I had on my tailstock of my previous lathe and almost exactly like what comes on the PM-932 benchtop model.

Just out of curiosity, when did you order your 935 from Matt?

Mike.

Mike, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure many mills have the Z-axis installed on the quill. Here's an example:

2hzgu4l.jpg

There's another forum out there where installing on the quill is referenced quite often... :) Since I've used this particular mill often, I've gotten used to it. I find it pretty convenient for what I do.

I ordered my 935 at the beginning of March, so should have another month or so to wait according to his original estimate.

Mike, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure many mills have the Z-axis installed on the quill. Here's an example:

There's another forum out there where installing on the quill is referenced quite often... :) Since I've used this particular mill often, I've gotten used to it. I find it pretty convenient for what I do.

I ordered my 935 at the beginning of March, so should have another month or so to wait according to his original estimate.

Thanks for posting that up. I have not seen that setup before. The ones I have seen have all been on the knee. I just figured I would add a small digital scale to my quill and have the Z-axis DRO installed on the knee which is what I am used to using for depth anyways. Our mill at work does not have DRO's so I have no experience using DRO's at all. I wasn't sure I was going to order with my mill but my son has taken some machining classes in college and after not having DRO's on our home lathe/mill and then using DRO's in his college classes, he informed me how nice they are and would be a worth while investment so I ordered my 935 with DRO's.

As for the estimated time, I spoke with Matt on Tuesday and he informed me that my 1340GT lathe will be arriving in the next one to two weeks with the shipment of 935 mills following by another one to two weeks so he estimated the mills should be here by 3rd or 4th week of May.

I hope to have mine by the first part of June I am getting way excited as I am sure you are as well.

On Monday night I had a small job come in the shop and wasn't able to repair it right away because I didn't have a lathe as I have already sold mine to make room and help with the budget for the new one. I had to bring it to work and machine it after hours on Tuesday so I could go home and complete the job. That flat SUCKED!!! You don't realize how much you rely on something until you don't have it any longer. I have used my lathe and mill so much over the past 15+ years it sucks not having the option to walk right up to it and complete a simple job.

Luckily the company I work for is generous enough to let me use their equipment. Although they made it very clear that we can use the tools/equipment for personal use as long as we prearrange it with management, however, they made it perfectly clear that we are not allowed to use them to make money or for things that are not for us personally. I spoke with my boss and informed him that I was waiting for my new equipment and he was gracious enough to make an exception as he knew that I have had the equipment for a long time and this is just a small hiccup in timing.

Mike.

Back