Source for Asian Arbor Press Parts?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 3-ton Chinese ratcheting arbor press from JTS Machinery. It's pretty rough, but it works. A few years back, I made the mistake of bouncing while pulling the handle, and I apparently turned over a tooth on the gear or cog or whatever it's called. The press still works fine unless you catch that tooth, which now slips.

It appears that JTS no longer exists. Their Ebay store is gone, and their website is all wonky. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find parts for a cheesy Chinese arbor press.

I suppose it's possible to machine a new gear and harden it and temper it. Something to consider.

I got mine from HHIP/ABS Import Tools through ebay. I have never broken mine, just picked one up just in case.

I bought the part, and it's the wrong size. The company that sold me the press is dead. I emailed Grizzly to find out if their ratchet gear will fit, but I am not expecting to be pleasantly surprised.

I can make this part, but it will have to be hardened. I have never hardened a part this big. I guess I'll just heat it up, dump it in oil, and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees. Maybe it will work, and it won't warp too much.

Plan on having to machine the bore after hardening, it will certainly distort with that keyway in it. When you quench it, lower it into the oil with the bore perpendicular to the surface of the oil in the hope of minimizing distortion.

Thanks for the help. Not sure what to do yet. It looks like many gears are case-hardened using sodium ferrocyanide. I assume case-hardening is also likely to warp parts.

I'm kind of amazed that I bought the only Chinese tool that isn't a complete clone of every other Chinese tool.

I'm kind of amazed that I bought the only Chinese tool that isn't a complete clone of every other Chinese tool.

Same here, when I heard 3 ton ratcheting I thought for sure it would be the same as mine. Mine is the Interstate brand from MSC but all the others looked the same. What does yours look like?

Sucks to hear JTS is gone, I had no idea. It's been yrs since I've purchased from them though.

That truly is surprising. The Chinese had been pilfering designs and ideas from other Chinese for centuries before they started in on the West. We get all indignant about it, but it's just part of the culture there. Intellectual property only exists in your head.

Same here, when I heard 3 ton ratcheting I thought for sure it would be the same as mine. Mine is the Interstate brand from MSC but all the others looked the same. What does yours look like?

Sucks to hear JTS is gone, I had no idea. It's been yrs since I've purchased from them though.

JTS still has a website, but they don't respond to communications, and the website doesn't work. I can't find them on Ebay.

I can attach a photo of the press on the stand I just built. I've probably uploaded it 5 times during the data-

I can still use the press, but I have to avoid that wimpy tooth. This is what I get for bouncing on the handle.

The gear project appears to be well within my limited capabilities, so I guess I'll give it a shot if I ever finish setting up my air lines. Tonight I wrecked the swivel on my air hose reel, so that will cost me three days.

01 22 20 arbor press stand finished no paint small.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. You're looks more like a Famco clone. IIRC the ones Grizzly & Jet offers are shaped like that. I don't think Jet's 3 ton is ratcheting though. Hopefully the Grizzly gear is the same.

Back