Source for Bolt

If you'd rather do it another way:

- get a set screw of the appropriate thread/size (set screws have square flats like your diagram)
Then turn and thread the collar to the profile you like, thread it on, and braze it into place.

(A great friend of mine has always said: "get 5 machinists to tell you how to do a job, and you'd get 10 answers") o_O

I made a bolt just like that for my SB lathe carriage stop. When I got my lathe the previous owner had been using an allen head bolt. Finding that allen wrench when I needed it was a huge pain. You will like the fact that you only need to keep track of your single standard SB wrench (however you end-up gettting this bolt).

Rick

I did the same thing Took about an hour to machine then mill the flats with a collet block

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are referred to as Collar screws per the Machineries Handbook looking at version 16 but in that case the collar is a machined part of the actual stew and not a washer. Looking for the same thing as I have a SB 10 heavy and the taper attachment has regular hex bolts vs the square head bolts which it came with.

Is there a commercial source for this type of bolt? Other than "make-it-yourself"? I can do everything but the flats on the head (I have no mill). If I have to make it, it would be using an angle grinder and a file to do the flats.

View attachment 287298
Don't know about commercial but if you need it PM and i will build for you

The square heads are much superior to hex bolts, as they do not round over with use.

Another thing about the square head bolts used on machine tools is that the heads are long, that provides a maximum bearing for the wrench and also allows the wrench to be left on the bolt for later adjustment, good, especially for the carriage lock, when you want to sequentially lock and unlock it; besides they just look nice, and the collar provides a good bearing surface for end thrust that does not mar up the surface that they bear against, such as the top of the carriage and the taper attachment clamp bracket, In the case of tool post screws, the collar prevents the wrench from slipping down onto the threads,

Or get an adjustable handle like this. I put one on my lathe and love not worrying about another wrench.

Back