Source for shim stock

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to add a shim to the gib of a machine I am working on getting running. It's a bit of a band-aide for sure, since the gib should probably remade or at least ground/scraped and then shimmed. But I don't have the means or capability to do such. So shimming becomes my next best option.

But I only need a 1" x 24" piece that's .013" thick. I can get bronze shim stock from McMaster, but it's $60 for a 6" x 50" roll. Way more than I need. Way more than I would ever use. Are there other options for this stuff? I've seen 12" strips here and there, but I really would prefer it be the full 24" length rather than trying to make two strips work. That seems wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I checked a couple places online, but found nothing useful.
Sorry and good luck.

Brian

I need to add a shim to the gib of a machine I am working on getting running. It's a bit of a band-aide for sure, since the gib should probably remade or at least ground/scraped and then shimmed. But I don't have the means or capability to do such. So shimming becomes my next best option.

But I only need a 1" x 24" piece that's .013" thick. I can get bronze shim stock from McMaster, but it's $60 for a 6" x 50" roll. Way more than I need. Way more than I would ever use. Are there other options for this stuff? I've seen 12" strips here and there, but I really would prefer it be the full 24" length rather than trying to make two strips work. That seems wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Check local sheet metal shops, they may have 28 or 30 ga stock they can shear to width for you.

What about three layers of shim tape?

What about three layers of shim tape?

I didn't even know this exists. Interesting idea.
Check local sheet metal shops, they may have 28 or 30 ga stock they can shear to width for you.
29 gauge would be the closest thickness. I'll have to see if there are any shops around me.

Might try KBC Tools and Machinery.
EDIT: My first search was horrible. I went back and looked again and can get .0135" steel shim stock at a much more reasonable price. I'll have to see what shipping is going to cost.
Can aluminum be used ? Home Depot has .011 aluminum flashing ? Maybe others sell even closer to your size . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralt...luminum-Roll-Valley-Flashing-RV625A/202092843
.011 wouldn't be enough of a shim. I really need .013. Anything smaller and the gib is too far out the other end. Anything bigger and too far out the large end. This is the first time I have seen a gib that is actually LONGER than the place it sits in, and it appears to be original to the machine as it has the same serial number stamped in it.
If I "center" the gib, these photos show the two side and the notches for the gib adjusting screws.

IMG_9528.jpeg
IMG_9529.jpeg

I'm leaning toward trying the .012" shim stock and letting the gib go in further. I'd have to extend the notch for the gib screw on the right end, but that shouldn't be an issue. I'm also thinking about cutting it down to make it shorter - thoughts? My lack of experience in these things is making me ask a lot of questions. :)

Back