Source for shim stock

I would consider a plastic shim, sure. But something about web sites that don't list prices. Meh. Don't make me work for it or have to send an email. I always feel like I'm not getting the best price, but the price that helps them recover costs because the give bigger customers lower prices.

And it's 2023. MySpace is dead. Ooof.

There are plenty of sources for plastic shim stock without paying for them. Plastic milk jugs and 2 liter bottles etc. Shims are stationary so it is not likely they will wear out. Of course, there are reasons for metal shims but gibs do not care what material the shim is made of.

I know I was asking for ideas, so I thank you for thinking outside the box. But I don't think milk jugs will give me a reasonable expectation of tolerance. That stuff could be plus or minus 30 thou. Probably more. There wouldn't be anything near a consistent thickness anywhere.

I know I was asking for ideas, so I thank you for thinking outside the box. But I don't think milk jugs will give me a reasonable expectation of tolerance. That stuff could be plus or minus 30 thou. Probably more. There wouldn't be anything near a consistent thickness anywhere.
Whatever the thickness is, it is likely to be fairly consistent. The manufacturers certainly don't want to make those milk jugs any thicker than they have to be, because that increases cost. Milk jugs certainly are cheap, and you probably could sort thickness with a micrometer in a few moments. In any case, a simple measurement could check to see if the idea has any merit. Aluminum pop or beer cans are a pretty good source of shims, but they are thinner than what you want, but they are stack-able.

Whatever the thickness is, it is likely to be fairly consistent. The manufacturers certainly don't want to make those milk jugs any thicker than they have to be, because that increases cost. Milk jugs certainly are cheap, and you probably could sort thickness with a micrometer in a few moments. In any case, a simple measurement could check to see if the idea has any merit. Aluminum pop or beer cans are a pretty good source of shims, but they are thinner than what you want, but they are stack-able.
Considering I only need .013", plus or minus .001", and a milk jug is probably .030" plus or minus .030", it's not even worth the time and trouble to mic it, and it's not 24" long, which means I'm going to have to do it in pieces and figure out how to keep them in position. Yeah, it's an idea, just not one I am going to use.

If you are considering plastics you may want to search out “drawing Mylar” or “reproducible Mylar”. It will be consistent in thickness and it’s not a squishy material at all. Quite the opposite — it’s quite stiff and doesn’t want to stretch in any way. I just ran a mic along the edge of mine and it’s coming in at 0.008” which I know is too thin for you. But, it may be available in different weights, and I know it comes (or at least did) in large sheets easily more than 24”. A drafting supply or commercial art supply store would be where I would look for it. I’ve used it for shims of various types quite a few times.

-frank

1675888859093.jpeg

Considering I only need .013", plus or minus .001", and a milk jug is probably .030" plus or minus .030", it's not even worth the time and trouble to mic it, and it's not 24" long, which means I'm going to have to do it in pieces and figure out how to keep them in position. Yeah, it's an idea, just not one I am going to use.
I think you are being dismissive. You have never measured one. If you could actually be bothered to get up and measure one, you'd find it was a lot closer than you think. The one I measured just now, actually a 1 gallon water jug, was 0.014". It varied 0.005", not good enough, but a lot better and closer than your pre-conceived notions. But as you said, the form factor isn't that good. But yeah, I got off my behind, went outside, and pulled one out of the recycle bin, cut out a strip and measured it. Why, because I wanted to know how thick it was.

The point is everyone is trying to give you some ideas. They may not all be good, but they are worth checking out. They may lead to a very good idea. That's what brainstorming is. Or you can just spend a ton of money on that roll of shim stock.

Cheap solutions mean entertaining wacky or different ideas and opening your mind. I see that @francist just gave a very good idea while I was typing.

You seem to be taking it personally. I'm not being dismissive, I gave it thought and decided it wasn't an idea I liked nor one I wanted to explore further. No need to get defensive just because I didn't choose your idea or the one you like. I appreciate that you went through the trouble to mic a water jug. And I appreciate anyone else that has gone through the trouble to suggest something off the wall. Yes, it does lead to discovery of even different solutions, that doesn't mean they are viable.

I honestly don't really have the time to fully check out and try every idea that has been suggested. I have to weigh what I think is going to work the best for me within the boundaries I have set. It might be OK for you, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I am not appreciative or somehow insulting you. I believe I have been respectful in my responses to everyone. If you think I haven't, I regret the perception.

It may be that all of these ideas end up leading me down a different road that no one else thought of or brought up. It doesn't mean they weren't useful. I started down this path looking for a source for a smaller quantity of a specific product. I was given lots of alternate ideas, which is great, and has me thinking about them all.

You seem to be taking it personally. I'm not being dismissive, I gave it thought and decided it wasn't an idea I liked nor one I wanted to explore further. No need to get defensive just because I didn't choose your idea or the one you like. I appreciate that you went through the trouble to mic a water jug. And I appreciate anyone else that has gone through the trouble to suggest something off the wall. Yes, it does lead to discovery of even different solutions, that doesn't mean they are viable.

I honestly don't really have the time to fully check out and try every idea that has been suggested. I have to weigh what I think is going to work the best for me within the boundaries I have set. It might be OK for you, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I am not appreciative or somehow insulting you. I believe I have been respectful in my responses to everyone. If you think I haven't, I regret the perception.

It may be that all of these ideas end up leading me down a different road that no one else thought of or brought up. It doesn't mean they weren't useful. I started down this path looking for a source for a smaller quantity of a specific product. I was given lots of alternate ideas, which is great, and has me thinking about them all.
Nope, it's not personal. But it did seem dismissive at the time of my reading it, especially pulling strange numbers and tolerances out of the air.

I knew the jug wouldn't be that thick, but I had no concrete idea about tolerances that would be achieved. I was motivated to get up and actually measure it. I agree it would be ugly to use, even if it was suitable. It was a wacky suggestion that didn't work out. But if I need a 15-20 mil spacer, a milk jug might work.

Appreciate you explaining this, and the boundaries you have to work within. We were just attempting to stir up the creative juices, and eventually you will sort it out and come up with a solution that works for you. Peace.

Back