Source for U.S.-Made Lathe Cutters Needed

OldCarbDoctor

Registered
Registered
Hello, Jeff Dreibus (owner of The Old Carb Doctor) here.

I have a Grizzly G8688 mini-lathe which I bought second-hand and have used for a few years to turn-down a particular type of brass carburetor needle. I now need some new C6 AR6 cutters (see photo). The cutters bearing this number (which came with it) seem to work pretty well, though I am always open to suggestions. They also read "Made in China", but I would prefer a source for U.S.-made cutters if possible (and yes, I know that the machine itself came from China).

As you have probably surmised by now, I am not really a machinist. My other "machine tools" consist of a belt sander, a hand-held drill and a Dremel. So: looking at the photo, please let me know if I do not have the cutter installed properly; that is how the lathe came to me with the cutter installed. All helpful tips are appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_8884_1.JPG
    IMG_8884_1.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 170
I H M O the flat of the carbide should be horizontal. It appears to be vertical. It should then be installed 90º clockwise from where it is.

Thanks, T. Bredehoft. That would seem to suggest that I need to change the height of the bed. I have never used that adjustment on my lathe. Can you show me where to find it?

And I like your Studebaker!

Jeff

Yes , turn the tool 90 degrees and then shim it up to centerline . That's known as a 4 way post and has no adjustment thus the need to shim the tool to centerline . What size are the cutters ? Maybe 1/4" or 3/8" ?

Not to put a fine point on it, but carbide tools have no advantage on a job like this, HSS is what should be used; learn how to grind HSS tools in about the same configuretions as are used with the carbide tools

Micro100 for the brazed carbide cutting tools if you want high quality US made.

Yes , turn the tool 90 degrees and then shim it up to centerline . That's known as a 4 way post and has no adjustment thus the need to shim the tool to centerline . What size are the cutters ? Maybe 1/4" or 3/8" ?
The cutter is 3/8" square.

If I turn the cutter 90 degrees, will I then have to use it on the opposite side of the chuck? That seems counter-intuitive and possibly even dangerous. Would it not be simpler to order the new cutters as a left-handers (I am guessing that the "R" in C6 AR6 stand for "right").

Or maybe I misunderstand altogether. Can you please show me a photo or an illustration of how it should be clamped into the post?

Jeff

Mount it carbide up on the chuck side of the post . It will turn and face same set-up . LH and RH as well as straight tools are available .

@OldCarbDoctor

As you see above you'll get many suggestions and opinions here.
And yes, some will contradict others.

I have been trying to find a picture of the way that tool would normally be used.... but so far have not found a clear one, but will post back if I do.

I just stopped in to say: Welcome to the group!

Brian

Can you imagine how happy he will be when he turns that tool over and uses the cutting edge?

Back