Source for U.S.-Made Lathe Cutters Needed

@OldCarbDoctor While it may seem like a pain in the butt, check out some videos on HSS (High Speed Steel) tool grinding. All you need is a standard 6” bench grinder. Even if you use your carbide tool what you can learn from the experience will be helpful. Check out “This Old Tony” has a really approachable video on the subject which you may enjoy! I’m envious of all the cool things you will be discovering on your machining adventure. You are in a great spot here for help. I have learned much.

I have turned a carb needle and low cutting pressure is important. A sharp tool with a small radius helps minimize deflection. Brass isn’t easy to cut sometimes because it is “grabby”. Keep working at it, ask questions and you will succeed.

we are almost neighbors! I’m near exit 53a on I40.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone provide a diagram of the correct set-up? Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still a bit confused.

If not, I will post some photos of the cutter set in different positions in the post and you can tell me which one is correct.

Jeff

See if this pic helps:

brazed.jpg

Although this shows the tool in a tool holder for a quick change tool post, it would be in the same position in the tool post slot that is facing your chuck. The flat part of the carbide faces up. You need to get the tip of the tool on the centerline of your lathe for it to cut well.

You are using a 7X12 mini-lathe and while brazed carbide tools will work, HSS tools will work worlds better for you on that little lathe.

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone provide a diagram of the correct set-up? Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still a bit confused.

If not, I will post some photos of the cutter set in different positions in the post and you can tell me which one is correct.

Jeff

Attachments

• AF6A2FF5-C21D-4C02-BADC-F3D9B63D097B.jpeg
    AF6A2FF5-C21D-4C02-BADC-F3D9B63D097B.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 113
  • F277612F-5AA1-4FB3-A601-15920C550737.jpeg
    F277612F-5AA1-4FB3-A601-15920C550737.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 100
E08CB0BD-5BB9-4BDB-96AB-768180ED5318.jpeg

note: all three drawings are of the same cutting tool. each projection just shows how the relief angles needed to allow the tool to cut. Your tool is what is called a “brazed carbide“ tool as the hard and expensive carbide is hard soldered to the plain steel shank.

Last edited:
Back