Source of cheap turning stock?

Dr_Romeo_Chaire

Ears got caught in a rice picker
Registered
Hi, new to the forum here. I just got a real, live, metal lathe (South Bend 9" C model) after years without access to any metal shop equipment (wood turning only).

I'm all set to start doing some turning but I got a nasty shock when I visited my local Metal Supermarket. Round stock is really expensive!! For a piece of 3/4" brass round stock less than a foot long, I was told the price was well over $100 ($8-10/inch!!??!!). I guess I've never really bought stock since I was either doing machining at school or work (ages ago), but I never expected it to be so high.

Can anyone recommend a source of aluminum and brass stock that's not so pricey? Scrap metal dealers maybe?

Thanks!

First off, welcome.

Tell us what sizes you need. All of us have odds and ends to help you new guys out. Lengths would help also.

"Billy G"

Check local machine shops, the usually give stuff away.

"Billy G"

welcome to the HM. I some time find a deal on ebay that beets local prices.

Recycling centers can be a good source for random pieces of metal and plastic... but its no telling when or what you get.
Edit, I did purchase some aluminium a month back from eBay 5" diameter, by 10" thru ebay, i think they were in the 20-25 range.
Rich

For a piece of 3/4" brass round stock less than a foot long, I was told the price was well over $100 ($8-10/inch!!??!!)
That must have been some quality Brass or a complete rip off. I just bought 24" of 3/4" brass up in Canada where everything is relatively more expensive than the US,paid $46 and that's in Canadian dollar which is about $38 USD.
You also could try Amazon or ebay for brass rods:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000H9MZNE...olid=U1FASJ1VAXTT&coliid=I1SM9HGIZJ5KV5&psc=1

Check local machine shops, the usually give stuff away.

"Billy G"
Not around here. Pretty much full retail for drop. Only good place around here is 90 miles in Wichita. Called "The Yard". They sell a lot of drop from the aircraft industry (I guess). http://www.theyardwichita.com/ follow links to the aluminum or steel sections. Pretty much just have to go there and wonder around. Lots and lots of smaller chunks.

Look for local boat yards that do inboard boats. Older boats had bronze propeller shafts 3/4"-1 1/4" and rudder shafts 1"-1 1/2" . they get replaced with SS and the bronze is sold for scrap. It will me corroded. so look for over size by 1/4"

Back