South Bend 13 lathe repair

bpctcb

Registered
Registered
Greetings! I need some advice about repairing a SB 13 lathe. I recently purchased one (my first) and was transporting it home when a Freightliner ran into me. My truck and trailer were total losses; my lathe has serious damage. I'm trying to figure if I should even attempt repairing it. I intend to use it for precision rifle hobby gunsmithing.

A partial list of lathe damage:
Tailstock has bent quill & broken handwheel.
Broken saddle
Broken back gear or quill gear
Misc broken covers on headstock
Lead screw is bent in 2 places
Lead screw bracket is broken

Should I even consider this repair? An insurance company will ultimately pay for the repair or replacement. There may be more damage that I haven't noticed yet.

I live in Oklahoma and our used lathe market is crap. I found an identical lathe to mine (serial is even consecutive to mine) but it's in North Hampton, NH. There is another shorter SB 13 in Pawtucket, RI. But I'm not going to buy a used lathe without someone inspecting it first and the insurance hasn't been able to help me there.

If anyone has any advice about repairing the lathe, replacing it or sorting this out with the insurance company then I'm all ears.

Thanks,
BP

I would let the insurance Co. pay for everything you can’t buy anymore for the lathe, you’ll end up with a new import one!.

I agree, the cost to repair will likely be much more then you paid, or what the ins will give you.

Saddle, back gear, lead screw, covers, tail stock, will be hard to find, and cost $$$$

I would start calling all the used machinery dealers you can google, see what they have, and get an idea of prices. Do not let the ins company low ball you. The price you paid, has little to do with replacement cost.

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Hope it all works out in the end.

You could likely sell many of the un broken parts, and ease some of the pain.

Thanks for the replies. I will post whenever I get another lathe.

Thanks,
BP

Do you get to keep the old lathe? Just have the ins co get you another SB like it and swap parts, that's what I would do
mark
glad you are ok

Back