South Bend 13" mechanical restoration

I'm brush painting mine. I like the look that it gives and it's a lot less mess and clean up.

But I hear you on how far to take it. I just got the motor and lower cone pulley out from the bell housing on mine. I can't get the taper pin out of the large v-belt pulley. Which will prohibit me from getting the cone pulley off and out as well. I'm debating on if I will drill it, or leave it as is and just do what I can to clean out the oil reservoir and call it a day.

I'm brush painting mine. I like the look that it gives and it's a lot less mess and clean up.

But I hear you on how far to take it. I just got the motor and lower cone pulley out from the bell housing on mine. I can't get the taper pin out of the large v-belt pulley. Which will prohibit me from getting the cone pulley off and out as well. I'm debating on if I will drill it, or leave it as is and just do what I can to clean out the oil reservoir and call it a day.
Hmm yeah eh. Did you manage to get the pin out of the handle like I showed? Or you haven't touched that yet? Funnily enough, that taper pin on the large v belt pulley came out with no problems for me.

Hmm yeah eh. Did you manage to get the pin out of the handle like I showed? Or you haven't touched that yet? Funnily enough, that taper pin on the large v belt pulley came out with no problems for me.
Mine was a set screw in that handle. I've seen that in a couple places where I was expecting a pin and someone had replaced it with a set screw. It worked and wasn't critical, so I'm leaving it.

I had other taper pins that caused me problems. I have a single tumbler gear box. There's a taper pin that goes through a nut on the cone gear shaft. Had to drill that one out. There's also a taper pin on the rack gear pinion shaft. That one, I discovered, had been broken into three pieces, when at some point in the past the shaft spun on the gear (probably during a crash). So there was no way it was being driven out. Had to remove each end from each side, then once I got the gear off, drill out the piece that was still in the shaft. Fun.

Mine was a set screw in that handle. I've seen that in a couple places where I was expecting a pin and someone had replaced it with a set screw. It worked and wasn't critical, so I'm leaving it.

I had other taper pins that caused me problems. I have a single tumbler gear box. There's a taper pin that goes through a nut on the cone gear shaft. Had to drill that one out. There's also a taper pin on the rack gear pinion shaft. That one, I discovered, had been broken into three pieces, when at some point in the past the shaft spun on the gear (probably during a crash). So there was no way it was being driven out. Had to remove each end from each side, then once I got the gear off, drill out the piece that was still in the shaft. Fun.
Dang. What do you replace them with? More taper pins? Where do you get those from?

Dang. What do you replace them with? More taper pins? Where do you get those from?
I found them at my local Ace Hardware, believe it or not. I could have gotten them from McMaster-Carr, but I didn't want 25 of them.

If you download the exploded view diagrams from here:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/25079.pdf

You can find the part numbers of the pins. Then look here for the commercially available replacement:

http://wewilliams.net/docs/Commercially Available Hardware Items - Form 1178.pdf

Of course, that's assuming that someone prior to you didn't already go through this and reamed the hole out larger and put in a larger pin. You can get tapered pin reamers off eBay fairly inexpensively.

I found them at my local Ace Hardware, believe it or not. I could have gotten them from McMaster-Carr, but I didn't want 25 of them.

If you download the exploded view diagrams from here:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/25079.pdf

You can find the part numbers of the pins. Then look here for the commercially available replacement:

http://wewilliams.net/docs/Commercially Available Hardware Items - Form 1178.pdf

Of course, that's assuming that someone prior to you didn't already go through this and reamed the hole out larger and put in a larger pin. You can get tapered pin reamers off eBay fairly inexpensively.
Thanks. I think it will be a nightmare for me to find pins like that here in Canada if they break or I need to drill them out. Not really looking forward to tackling the apron and gearbox.

Thanks. I think it will be a nightmare for me to find pins like that here in Canada if they break or I need to drill them out. Not really looking forward to tackling the apron and gearbox.
Let's hope you have less trouble than I did. And you FIND less trouble than I did. My half nuts were J-U-N-K. But I was able to get replacements.

Oh, and even though I am weeks behind putting these together, if you care to share in my mayhem, please feel free to follow along:

1941 South Bend 13" Lathe Restoration

You'll be finished by the time I get to putting mine back together, or even gets these videos published, but it's been fun to record these. Plus, I'll be using them as a reference to put it back together. :)

Getting closer to painting the body...

Attachments

• 2021-02-16 20.01.12.jpg
    2021-02-16 20.01.12.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 2021-02-16 16.37.08.jpg
    2021-02-16 16.37.08.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 2021-02-16 16.37.05.jpg
    2021-02-16 16.37.05.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
I think it will be a nightmare for me to find pins like that here in Canada if they break or I need to drill them out. Not really looking forward to tackling the apron and gearbox.

One of my local suppliers Ottawa Fastener Supply has taper pins in stock.......however:
i) their website is horrible and they operate the business like it's 1970 with no online ordering, or stock or really anything of interest! SHAME!!!!
ii) we are just recently out of a provincial "stay at home order"....so even in person access may be limited.

Perhaps there is a decent fastener supplier near you?!?!??!
(for me Fastenal is NOT on this list as they only offer the incredible honor of an online account to people with a business number! MORE SHAME!!!)

-brino

Back