South Bend 13" mechanical restoration

More cleaning & teardown...

x0SujnP.jpg

bmuOsLI.jpg

CuHPZLu.jpg

pIY1Gdj.jpg

Personally, I’d just wipe that lathe down with mineral spirits and clean it. It’s really not that bad. That color grows on me after a while. And it’s in really nice shape. That is a very nice South Bend lathe.
I’d do the quick tear downs, clean any scarf and such. Check the bearings like you are doing. And then just level it and align tailstock. The lathe looks like it was very well cared for. I’m betting that lathe needs very little for it to be up and making chips. Even the bed looks great. There’s hardly any nicks from when the chuck slips out the hand and bangs against the bed.

I’d get a close match of paint and paint the tailstock and maybe the cross-slide. But I’d leave the rest alone. The pedestal and base looks pretty good in my opinion.
With my lathe, I only cleaned and painted the stuff which was rusted. I did the quick and easy stuff.
its presentable in my opinion. I’m not planning on entering it in a beauty contest.

Last edited:
Personally, I’d just wipe that lathe down with mineral spirits and clean it. It’s really not that bad. That color grows on me after a while. And it’s in really nice shape. That is a very nice South Bend lathe.
I’d do the quick tear downs, clean any scarf and such. Check the bearings like you are doing. And then just level it and align tailstock. The lathe looks like it was very well cared for. I’m betting that lathe needs very little for it to be up and making chips. Even the bed looks great. There’s hardly any nicks from when the chuck slips out the hand and bangs against the bed.

I’d get a close match of paint and paint the tailstock and maybe the cross-slide. But I’d leave the rest alone. The pedestal and base looks pretty good in my opinion.
With my lathe, I only cleaned and painted the stuff which was rusted. I did the quick and easy stuff.
its presentable in my opinion. I’m not planning on entering it in a beauty contest.
You're right, it is in pretty good shape. I think I might end up painting the whole thing, though. Still deciding. Matching old paint I think would result in the tailstock looking brand new, and the rest of it looking old. it is still pretty faded and scratches all over.

I just did the easy stuff. Took less than two hours. if I was planning on selling it... yeah, I’d go all out and do a good paint job because the masses wants shiny and pretty. But, I just want to use my tools. I do like presentable, but time is precious and I’m getting older. I try To step back and prioritize stuff these days.
########. ###### . ####

But.... Just a little edit here.... Make no mistake. I’m not at all critical of you wanting it shiny and bright. I would love a brand new shiny and bright Real Lathe. Hell... I’d love to find one of those 1970’s USA lathes which sat in some science laboratory somewhere.
And I must admit...in my younger anal days... I know I’d totally disassemble my lathe... totally repaint it. I’m just not there anymore. But to each their own. That’s what makes the world go round guys and gals. The world would be a boring place if we all dressed the same.... did the same.

Attachments

• 836B960D-D6AF-49AD-9EC8-E1131243D946.jpeg
    836B960D-D6AF-49AD-9EC8-E1131243D946.jpeg
    834.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Had a go at taking off the chuck that was seized on there. Took it off the backing plate then had to heat up the threads to get it off finally with a good whack and 5ft of steel bar. More cleaning & started polishing some pieces today.

6HkBO42.jpg

fcUvTxH.jpg

2UzXCzL.jpg

RpvLB3o.jpg

hbhe3oA.jpg

CqDUvgL.jpg

Starting to look more bare...

Opvv66n.jpg

No primer. I usually will give things two coats. The second coat goes on fast.

Ted
I am doing the same thing, although I am taking 99% of the paint off. Primarily because a yahoo previous owner (likely the college that purchased it in 1941, painted it this God awful turquoise greenish looking color and most of it is peeling. And they painted over the oil cups, and there are globs of it on the bottom of the apron. I couldn't just leave it like that.

If some of the factory filler get stripped away, too, so be it.

Personally, I’d just wipe that lathe down with mineral spirits and clean it. It’s really not that bad.

If it's been sitting that long, it's probably worth the trouble to tear it down, inspect everything, and replace all of the felts. Paint or, or don't paint it. But the tear down is a good idea.

I agree. And I have done all of that on my lathe. I’ve had the compound and cross-slide apart more than once. Everything has been cleaned and adjusted. Felts replaced too. Oils replaced. So looks can be deceiving. I didn’t repaint the upper part of my lathe but it’s in great shape mechanically. I’ve redone hydraulics and replaced the Vari-drive bushing.
Also a new cross-slide screw. So... like I say, can’t judge books by their covers. Anyway, I kind of like the old paint. Kind of like scars. Builds character.

Received my paint today from Sherwin Williams. I like the color. Got it from another user on the Practical Machinist forum. Apparently was a perfect match for a NOS part on a South Bend lathe. It has a slight tinge of green to it, very old South Bend-ish.

5bDURVF.jpg

tqmxaUK.jpg

PCQIFZ7.jpg

iypnyFc.jpg

NONzaJd.jpg

yErbchk.jpg

VDn9G22.jpg

Back