South Bend 13" mechanical restoration

Anyone know what the headstock spindle bearing play is suppose to be for this model with the bronze bearings? I saw a video for a 13" that had just plain bearings (no bronze) and he said 1-2 thou of play when applying 75 lbs of force up. My chuck side bearing has a small amount of play (definitely moves) and the other side has none...I still haven't measured it but soon.

I believe the specification if between .0007 and .0015

Anyone know what the headstock spindle bearing play is suppose to be for this model with the bronze bearings? I saw a video for a 13" that had just plain bearings (no bronze) and he said 1-2 thou of play when applying 75 lbs of force up. My chuck side bearing has a small amount of play (definitely moves) and the other side has none...I still haven't measured it but soon.

See the section on spindle bearing adjustment in South Bend's "How to keep your lathe in trim".

Ted

I believe the specification if between .0007 and .0015

See the section on spindle bearing adjustment in South Bend's "How to keep your lathe in trim".

Ted

Here's a link to all four of South Bend's bulletins that can be helpful.

Ted

Great, thanks guys.

I ended up removing the bearing caps again and shaved a bit off one of the sides of the thinner shims that was in there. Think it might have been contacting the bearing cap or something. I had 0.01" of play initially. Now everything is good. 0.001" on the chuck side and roughly 0.001-0.0015" on the back side. Looks good to me.

Rebuilding the QCG right now. Can anyone confirm that a 7205 bearing is a replacement for the ND 20205 bearing that is in there right now for the leadscrew? Then there is also the thrust bearing that runs on the shaft itself (4ZZR4?). Anyone have any numbers for those?

Last edited:
Back