South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Did a trade for this South Bend 9 C, "I think", lathe. It's still riding around with me in the back of my covered truck until I can find a spot for it to rest. LoL Looks to be in pretty good shape but is missing the change gears and the small pulley on the motor, which is a GE 1/2 hp with 1/2" shaft. Trying to find a proper flat belt pulley but have only seen 5/8" bore pulleys. If I can't find something to fit I'll bore the pulley out and press a bussing in. I've started a tear down of the motor and the counter shaft assembly for cleaning and painting. Might be restoration sacrilege but I'm thinking of painting it blue to match my circa 1935 drill press as pictured.

Attachments

• SB 9C lathe.jpg
    SB 9C lathe.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20191219_173311 (1).jpg
    20191219_173311 (1).jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 20191214_143518.jpg
    20191214_143518.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • 20191219_154727.jpg
    20191219_154727.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Is it possible to add a quick change gear box to a 9 C lathe? So many newbie questions coming! Right now there is no power switch. I'm going to gut the switch box and put a rotary on/off switch unless I stumble over an affordable reversible 120v motor for cheap.

Last edited:
Not a SB owner, but I imagine a QC gearbox could be added. Just a matter of finding one on E-bay, etc.. Color, paint it any color you like, It's your machine. Personally, I like blue. Cheers, Mike

The pulley from the motor to the countershaft is actually a 5/8" V belt. It runs fine without the flange on the countershaft pulley if the adjustment is correct.

That should make a replacement easy to find.

Yes you can add a QCGB but you need to replace the lead screw as well as it will need to be shorter than the current one. Cutting the existing one down from the tailstock end won't really work as it pushes the threaded portion way out in the middle of the bed where you won't be using it much. Up close to the spindle you won't be able to use it at all. If you want to cut it down cut it from the headstock end and then recreate the keyway on the shaft to hold the gear that drives it.

Are you sure the current motor isn't reversible? Just because it wasnt wired to run with a reverse option as it currently sits does not mean you couldn't rewire it to run both direction at the flip of a switch or 2 depending on how you choose to go about wiring things up!

Ground and line voltage only! It's a newer long shaft GE motor someone had put on it. The motor shaft is 1/2" and not the original 5/8" motor shaft. Maybe MontanaLon is telling me the width of the V belt versus the shaft diameter.

UPDATE 12/22/19: I ordered a 1/2" V-pulley, should have got the 5/8", but am concerned about the curvature of the counter shaft as they are not flat. The belt might keep running off. If I could find a V-grooved counter-shaft drive pulley would be great. Probably be cost prohibitive for this project though.

Last edited:
Is this info based on what you see as it sits or did you go inside to see whats what? My intent is to try to help you possibly save a small bit of cash, im not trying to TELL you anything about anything Im ASKING to try and help!

Im asking again just to be sure for the simple fact that it is possible to reverse rotation on "Most" electric motors, or at least most of what ive come across in my limited lifetime experience! Now if you ask, "if you SHOULD use your time and go through the trouble Knowing that the Negative outcomes that are a POSSIBILITY are not exactly a PROBABILITY" as it would make this project a whole nother scenario to consider!
If its a motor that uses a set of "Brushes" you are better off buying a new motor because of the way the brushes seat themselves in with the rotor contact surface. Running this motor in the opposite direction to which the Brushes were originally seated makes the motor more susceptible to damage that will Most Probably eventually let out that all powerful yet mysteriously Magical Smoke out :bawling:

Sounds like the QCGB is something not in my lathes future! I guess I should quit asking soo many question or this thread will get too long and no one will want to read and follow it. I disassembled the motor, cleaned the aluminum ends and painted the case gloss grey. Paint takes 5-9 hours to cure so I won't be able to reassemble it till tomorrow.

Is it possible to add a quick change gear box to a 9 C lathe? So many newbie questions coming! Right now there is no power switch. I'm going to gut the switch box and put a rotary on/off switch unless I stumble over an affordable reversible 120v motor for cheap.

Not so easy. You would need the gear box, the correct length lead screw and apron as a minimum. The 9C moves along by engaging the half nut. Lathes with a QCGB move along by engaging a clutch on the apron, which is propelled by a spline that rides in the groove on the lead screw. The 9C lead screw doesn't have the groove.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions given by all. Brushless motor. Here's couple of pics. So can this be wired for forward and reverse? 3 & 6 were jumpered. Is that why the jumper to use only one direction? Is connecting red and black wires one direction and yellow and black the other direction?

Starting to like the Gloss Grey over the blue for this lathe. Pics for comparison.

Attachments

• 20191220_144811.jpg
    20191220_144811.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 20191220_145237.jpg
    20191220_145237.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 20191220_144839.jpg
    20191220_144839.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20191220_161701.jpg
    20191220_161701.jpg