South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

Noooo! A fool is soon parted with his money. $1350 shipped. But just think of all the fun I'll have restoring it no matter how much it cost me. If any one sees a good deal on a spindle and counter shaft assembly please let me know. Thanks

Noooo! A fool is soon parted with his money. $1350 shipped. But just think of all the fun I'll have restoring it no matter how much it cost me. If any one sees a good deal on a spindle and counter shaft assembly please let me know. Thanks
I'm not sure if that's a good price or not.
Here's a spindle for you.

You can take your counter shaft assy from your 9C and put it on your new 9A - they should be almost identical. Also with the spindle, depending on the year of each. That should get it up and running as soon as possible.

But I have to sell the 9C to afford the 9A. After I sell the 9C, might take a while, I'll sell my Grizzly G9729, 3-In -One lathe. I have a stand alone mill and don't need the larger Grizzly lathe.

Yes, I have seen several on eBay but had better wait until the lathe arrives to see what I'm dealing with. Suppose to be here in a week to 10 days. It just shipped today.

You can take your counter shaft assy from your 9C and put it on your new 9A - they should be almost identical. Also with the spindle, depending on the year of each. That should get it up and running as soon as possible.

You've got me re-thinking about parts salvaging. I may just swap out whatever parts I need and and sell the 9C cheap or sell the individual parts from it. Hopefully the spindles would be the same. Instead of continuing discussion of my 9A, I'll open a new posting thread. Thanks for the idea.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 22
Had to sell my 9C to fund my next 9A project. Gotta say that she was a sweet running lathe. That said I really wanted a 9A because the one I bought had a QCGB and a taper attachment assembly.

Cool resto. Just read the whole thing. Can’t wait to see your 9a. I’m working on building a table for my 9a then I’ll be doing the same

Cool resto. Just read the whole thing. Can’t wait to see your 9a. I’m working on building a table for my 9a then I’ll be doing the same
I've already completed my SB 9A. The post can be seen at below link. It was a nightmare because I was cheated by the seller. But it really runs well even at the high cost of the restoration. Lots of new parts. I also added a quick change tool post and micrometer stop.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/south-bend-9a-restoration-happening-w-pics.81520/

Attachments

• 20200322_101532.jpg
    20200322_101532.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back