South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

Had a good day working on the lathe. Got everything cleaned and painted except the headstock and saddle assembly. The lathe bed was a nightmare!!!! 80 years of grease and muck. Now to go on and do the tricky work on the saddle and headstock. Decided just to go with the grey with black legs.

Tell me you didn't just paint around the labels. The screw pins are just driven in - there are holes in the back where you can drive them out.

Tell me you didn't just paint around the labels. The screw pins are just driven in - there are holes in the back where you can drive them out.
Ok I won't tell you that. Just looked and your correct! There are little holes in the back to drive them out. I won't tell if you don't. LoL Tomorrow I'll attack the compound-slide again to see if I can get that darn screw lock-nut off so I can remove the compound off the cross-slide. Then I'm sure I'll have the same problem with the cross-slide screw lock-nut.

I may wind up machining a flat pulley if the v-pulley doesn't work out if the belt runs off the flat counter-shaft pulley. I can't find a flat pulley that has a 1/2" shaft bore. They all seem to be 5/8".

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my shop 3-In-one Chinese lathe. I've had it for about five years and really runs well after getting all the casting sand and tramming it. Guess I could try putting a smaller pulley on the drive motor but then I guess that's another post in the Asian Forum. I'll save that for another day. Now your probably wondering why I'm doing this South Bend restoration. I guess it was just something to do when your retired and needing a project. No, I don't have anywhere to put it when I'm done. Maybe in the den! LoL

Attachments

• 20191019_170416.jpg
    20191019_170416.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the cross-slide screw lock nut off. I think it takes a spanner wrench, which I don't have, and have tried vice grips to no avail. Letting it sit in PB Blaster in the tread/oil hole. Short of using a torch anyone have any "tricks" for me to try?

You could always do it the way everybody else seems to do it. Get a hammer and punch and break it loose with a sharp whack. That will of course ruin the hole that the spanner should fit in. You can mill it to clean it up....or you can buy a spanner and remove it correctly.

I used, Chuck K's, suggested hammer whack and it did come loose. 83 years of grit and grime in the threads! This morning I disassembled the saddle and cross-slide and who would of known how many pieces there were. I hope someone was watching the way this thing came apart! LoL I "was" going to paint everything but it started sprinkling and temp dropped so maybe tomorrow. The two pins that hold the compound in were seized up with grime and wouldn't budge but persistence and PB Blaster prevailed.

Attachments

• 20191224_112116.jpg
    20191224_112116.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 49
Didn’t catch this in your earlier posts, but don’t worry about the V belt slipping off. I have been using the same (original to me) V-belt pulley on the motor since I restored it. The flat, narrow, inner section of the V-belt rides just fine on the flat countershaft pulley. I’ve never had mine shift, much less fall off.
Rick

.... also, while you are buying stuff on eBay, pick up the 4 oil set for sale. They will last a long time and it is worth having it ready as soon as you are ready to start making chips. (Later in you will need to buy the “C” oil in bulk to refill the bottle since you use that oil for most areas.)

Started putting the bed together with everything that is finished so I don't have parts laying around everywhere. This is the begining of South Bend's "Blackfoot Work Shop" 9 C lathe. The hand wheels, counter-shaft drive pulley and clamp nut handle are going to be black as well as the feet. After painting the saddle and compound slide I'll let it dry 24 hours for paint to harden and then assemble. In the mean time I'll start working on the head stock assembly. Can't believe almost all the oil holes were plugged up but I guess this lathe hasn't been used in a "loooong" time!

Attachments

• 20191224_141849.jpg
    20191224_141849.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20191224_142211.jpg
    20191224_142211.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20191224_142203.jpg
    20191224_142203.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It's looking very good!

How do the half-nuts look close-up?

-brino

It's looking very good!

How do the half-nuts look close-up?

-brino
They really look hardly worn, to me, but I'm no expert. They were full of hard gunk and dirt as well as the lead screw. Do they look worn to you or are they ok? Tonight I just couldn't wait to get the parts primed and painted so I did. Now I'll be able to reassemble the saddle and the compound in the morning.

Attachments

• 20191224_172700.jpg
    20191224_172700.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20191224_175004.jpg
    20191224_175004.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20191224_213507.jpg
    20191224_213507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back