South Bend 9" Cabinet Model Rebuild

:grin:Looking good , and the garage looks great also . I have to laugh though , if you ever need any more coolers , you know who to contact ! :rolleyes:

mmcmdl you can have a few of those coolers, just let us know when you'll drop by, no idea how we accumulated so many, lol...

Another odd problem I ran across was that when I put a QCTP on (it came with an old latern style tool post) even lowering the tool all the way down wasn't quite enough to center it on the work piece.

I scratched my head, posted a few questions on here, and then figured out this machine had a 10k compound base on it. That's a 9" compound base on the right, bought off ebay for cheap. How a 10k base wound up on this thing I don't know...

edit - these photos reminded me that this lathe came with the large dials, which I really like.

It came with a steady rest, which I dunked in the Chem Dip, masked off, and painted, then all sliding surfaces cleaned up, and reassembled with some oil. First part to be refinished. (it was after this one part that I realized I was in for a LOT of work! :grin big: )

Used this paint code that I found doing some searches and staring at photos online. Turned out a bit darker than I expected, but it looks good.

It has a 10k compound on it because it IS a 10k. It even has a 10k tailstock - whodathunkit? Where did you get the information that it was a 9"?

It has a 10k compound on it because it IS a 10k. It even has a 10k tailstock - whodathunkit? Where did you get the information that it was a 9"?

Went round and round with this back when I picked this thing up. History here:

It's NOT a Heavy 10, but a lighter 10". South Bend called it a "10k". Here's a picture of one from the 1963 catalog. Look familiar?

I think the consensus at the end of that thread I linked was that it was a 9" because of the tailstock design. A dead center in the tailstock lines up perfectly with one in the headstock, so those two units match. Here's the swing over the bed, measured from the rear V.

And, the tailstock.

Gearbox and headstock end before, during, and after. When I bought this thing this area was pretty noisy, more so in forward than reverse. After the rebuild and careful reassembly it's nice and quiet. Amazing what proper clearances on gear meshes can do.

Okay, your measurement of the swing tells me that you have a "Franken Lathe". Somewhere in its life, someone put a 10k QCGB on a 9" UMD floor
lathe, that's why the model number points to a 10k. Perhaps it was a "B" or "C" model without a gearbox. The 10k has a swing of 10", so the bed is definitely from a 9" lathe. So, rest assured that you DO have a 9" lathe, but with donor parts from a 10k. The 9" and the 10k used the same gear box, apron, saddle and compound rest, so someone may have "grafted" these onto your lathe, making it into an "A" model. Regardless of the origins, your restored lathe looks very nice and I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of making chips with that baby!

Here's a catalog page for the 9" UMD version. Comparing this page with the one of the 10k above, you can definitely say that they look like twins!

Yep, it was a bit of a Frankenlathe. All good now, I think the only remaining 10k part is the gearbox, which is the same as the 9.

The apron was perhaps the most complicated part of the rebuild. The Illion Industries manual and felt kit was a huge help.

Still need to clean up some parts of the dials, but it's completely functional and everything works well.

Back