South Bend 9" Cabinet Model Rebuild

Got rid of the household outlet box and light switch, replaced with a proper drum switch to allow reverse rotation if needed. This also allowed me to clean up the poorly done wiring and make sure both the motor and switch are now properly grounded.

In the future I intend to add a VFD knob to control speed, and an emergency stop push button switch.

Last edited:
Looks Great, Awesome Job.

Couple Questions about the paint if you wouldn't mind......Did you use the Automotive Grade Enamel paint?
Is the paint solvent resistant?
Do you know if Brake Fluid will cause the affected area to swell?

Any info you could elaborate on would be much appreciated.

Terrific restoration. It's a real inspiration to get going on mine...one the temps get above my age

Looks Great, Awesome Job.

Couple Questions about the paint if you wouldn't mind......Did you use the Automotive Grade Enamel paint?
Is the paint solvent resistant?
Do you know if Brake Fluid will cause the affected area to swell?

Any info you could elaborate on would be much appreciated.

The paint was what I saw recommended in a few online forums, Sherwin Williams alkyd enamel, oil based paint. It's supposed to be chip and solvent resistant. I haven't tested the solvent resistance, but oil wipes easily off and it seems pretty tough so far. I put on 2-3 coats with a brush. It's pretty slow drying, like about 24 hours, so brush marks generally "relax" and disappear as the paint flows and smooths out before it dries.

The metal surfaces were stripped with either Chem-dip or paint stripper, wire brushed, and then rinsed or wiped down with alcohol before painting.

WOW!!!
That is one awesome job!!
Where did you source all the nice new tags??
Many of mine are MIA!
So, the drum switch mounts inside the cabinet??
I see the holes in the front of yours are the same as on mine.

Back