South Bend 9 lathe still struggles with parting

Eliminate the compound with a tool block. Makes your setup much more rigid and allows small machines to part like their big brothers.

On its way! I made the base and the spigot. Now to decide what kind of block to make.

The tool block is finished. It is a lot more stable than the compound. Here it is parting with a 1" lathe tool which has a GTN3 insert. This is a big tool for a much bigger lathe. It worked, however there was still something loose somewhere since after some cutting, the tool would dive. I'm not sure where it was coming from, but it seemed the cross slide would get looser after a while, as would the carriage lock. The cut could be completed by remembering to tighten them periodically. Here is a picture. It worked better, but I wouldn't say it was great. It was probably not worth the effort, but it was interesting.

Attachments

• 20200404_164802.jpg
    20200404_164802.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 19
Here's the result..

Attachments

• 20200404_165101 (1).jpg
    20200404_165101 (1).jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 19
If you use a tool that's too big for your lathe you undo the benefits of the tool block. Try using a parting tool the machine was designed for with the tool block.

Back