South Bend 9 Steady Rest What Missing

Gman45acp

Active User
Registered
I picked up a SB 9A and this steady rest was in the box. It is the correct size for the lathe but I have never seen one that has a offset mount.
At least that is what I think it is. Anyone seen this and if so what is the missing part supposed to look like. I can probably cut off most of the offset and make a base for it that can mount between the bed rails. Also got a bunch gears if anyone is looking for some.EB6248B8-7C01-42CF-96B5-1340FF1E140D.jpeg4BE2E0CF-757A-4D9C-84EA-5EF45028FCB1.jpeg

I have a 9" model c I need gears for if you have extra..

Make very sure you have all the change gears that would have come with the lathe when new before selling any. Then sell duplicates and any that will not fit your lathe.

Make very sure you have all the change gears that would have come with the lathe when new before selling any. Then sell duplicates and any that will not fit your lathe.

A 9A doesn't use any change gears. It has a QCGB.

A 9A doesn't use any change gears. It has a QCGB.
It would need change gears to cut metric threads. It might just be one, I don't recall offhand.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes mine has a QC gearbox but there were a bunch of single gears. 80, 56,52, 48, 40, 36, 32, 20, Will have to check but I think there numbers are correct. Can verify tomorrow.

Yes mine has a QC gearbox but there were a bunch of single gears. 80, 56,52, 48, 40, 36, 32, 20, Will have to check but I think there numbers are correct. Can verify tomorrow.
Any change gears that will fit your lathe (mesh with the other gears, have the same mounting style, or can be machined to fit the same) should be kept. Many of us think that the only combinations needed for the lathe are the ones shown on the charts that came with the lathe. NOT TRUE! There are always lots of additional ratios that can be made with the gears that came with the lathe, and can be useful if you want to cut a specific lead that is not on the chart. The charts that come with the lathe are just a fraction of the ratios that can be cut, and the builder only shows charts showing gearing in common use. I wanted a way to make 27 tpi threads, and none were shown on the lathe charts. jbolt on this group very kindly made me a spreadsheet of ALL the combinations that my 13x40 Chinese lathe can make with just the gears that come with it and the QCGB, and it is a HUGE list. With more tooth counts available, lots more can be accomplished. Here is the file with the Excel chart that jbolt put together for gearing my Kent KLS-1340a lathe:

Attachments

• Kent KLS-1340A Gear Chart.xls
    202 KB · Views: 5
Back