South bend 9a refurbished

Thanks Surprman, it was a fun project. I really enjoy bringing old stuff back to life.

Beautiful piece of machinery.
Thank you for sharing

Beautifully done. Congratulations on all the hard work. Btw, I noticed the (I'm guessing Craigslist) powder coating oven! Sweet

Beautifully done. Congratulations on all the hard work. Btw, I noticed the (I'm guessing Craigslist) powder coating oven! Sweet

Thanks it was a fun project.

Yes, I do quite a bit of powdercoating for myself, friends and an occasional paying job. The oven came out of my home some years back when my wife and I replaced it with a new oven. I think it is a mid 1980's vintage, but still operates perfectly and is great for powder coating small and medium sized stuff. One day I'd like to have a much larger oven but for now this one works well and it was free.

This is an inspiration! I just picked up my FIRST lathe last night. A bit crusty 9A that was in a basement for years. I'm just beginning to learn about it and will start a thread asking dumb questions. Here's my beauty that will look a bit newer over the winter.00V0V_hw6MDfIC4RR_1200x900.jpg

beautiful job -- I'm still cleaning the oily gunk off my brand-new 1943 Logan 820, and deciding whether to touch up the missing paint; I haven't even considered a complete restoration. Also, under the grey paint (and where there is no grey paint, on undersides) is US Army green, clear evidence of its first career. I wouldn't want to lose that. But...your ground up job is inspiring, for sure!

Tim
20181106_233058 (1).jpg

The machine is too clean. you have to use it to get it dirty, too bad.
Paul
haha ya they can sure get dirty quick when your doing a project with a lathe. I probably spend as much time cleaning my machine up after each use as I do machining. I may be a little OCD. lol

This is an inspiration! I just picked up my FIRST lathe last night. A bit crusty 9A that was in a basement for years. I'm just beginning to learn about it and will start a thread asking dumb questions. Here's my beauty that will look a bit newer over the winter.View attachment 279841
Thank you for the kind words.

Congrats on your 9A I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it, they are a very nice home workshop machine.

The nice thing about the SB9 is all of the pieces are small enough to carry by hand so it makes working on them so much easier than with a larger machine.

Is your SB 9A a 4.5ft long bed?

Last edited:
Back