South bend 9a refurbished

beautiful job -- I'm still cleaning the oily gunk off my brand-new 1943 Logan 820, and deciding whether to touch up the missing paint; I haven't even considered a complete restoration. Also, under the grey paint (and where there is no grey paint, on undersides) is US Army green, clear evidence of its first career. I wouldn't want to lose that. But...your ground up job is inspiring, for sure!

Tim
View attachment 279854

Thanks, I had lots of fun sprucing up my little 9A.

I can totally see why want to leave the original paint on your logan intact, sounds like it has a neat history. Mine was just a local school lathe, and then privately owned after that, so nothing special history wise like yours.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your Logan.

Is your SB 9A a 4.5ft long bed?

Yes it is. It has a small batch to other bits too. I will start my own posy soon, once I get it out of the bed of my truck!!

Last edited:
Is your SB 9A a 4.5ft long bed?

Yes it is. It has a small batch to other bits too. I will start my own posy soon, once I get it out of the bed of my truck!!

Cool, I hear the 4.5ft beds are fairly rare. I look forward to seeing you post more pictures once its unloaded.

Hi dmitts, I know this is an old thread and you probably don't visit this site as often but in case you read this post I am wondering what the actual footprint of this SB 9a is, the reason I ask: my neighbor 'grand father has one (very similar to yours), and would like to give it to a "good home" so now I have an opportunity to trade my small aluminum fishing boat for his Southbend 9A.

My shop is already fully packed and before I even consider to get the lathe , I need to know how much space it occupies for example how many inches of space is needed behind it for the back gear/belt/ pulleys? length? I'm told is 48" ,width 36"?
How was moving this heavy lathe? can you take some of it apart to make it lighter?
Anyone else who reads this can chime in , I'll appreciate any help I can get.

sounds like a great trade! My 48" length heavy 9 is on a 24 (maybe 26?) inch deep bench, though that is with a DIY countershaft and motor plate. Fits fine though. Headstock end hangs over the end a few inches, so it takes up perhaps 44" of bench.

sounds like a great trade! My 48" length heavy 9 is on a 24 (maybe 26?) inch deep bench, though that is with a DIY countershaft and motor plate. Fits fine though. Headstock end hangs over the end a few inches, so it takes up perhaps 44" of bench.
Thanks Matt, I appreciate your input. the one in question is supposedly wider something like 32" or 36" wide and comes with it's own SB stand just like the OP's pics.
I should start a separate thread on this buy, still contemplating if it's a wise move to add another machine in an already packed shop,

Back