South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a SB 9A off eBay and should be here in a week or 10 days. In my "enthusiasm" I didn't check everything in detail and will need a lot of work and parts. I plan on salvaging and swapping parts off my 9C to make it complete and original. Here are a few pics of what I'm dealing with. Worst part is the spindle pulley shaft is spot welded into the spindle shaft. "Maybe" it can be repaired by removing the spot welds.

s-l1600 (12).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 135
  • s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 140
  • s-l1600 (15).jpg
    s-l1600 (15).jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
You gotta think that someone who is careless, lazy or stupid enough to just weld a pulley on a precision part like a spindle would have done equally careless, lazy or stupid things in other places that are not shown. The least of your problems is that with that setup, your lathe is running too fast.

Did you get the flimsy table and the cigar boxes of stuff with the lathe?

Did you get the flimsy table and the cigar boxes of stuff with the lathe?
Yes I'm getting all the "wonderful" things along with it including the table. Be kinda interesting to see how fast/slow it will run with the back gear engaged. Just another one of life's bad decisions but "in a hundred years what will it matter?" LoL I think my "diamond in the rough" is just a lump of coal.

The serial number falls in the 1944 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that is quite a project you have there. I really think you'd want to restore the original drive - and recover the pass through capability + decent torque over a broad speed range. You a TTA, thread dial, sort of a QCTP, QC gear box plus "all the wonderful things" in the boxes.

I'd say you got a reasonable project, now it is just quite a bit of work, but the bones are there to have a workable lathe.

Be kinda interesting to see how fast/slow it will run with the back gear engaged.

With the drive set up like it is right now, the back gear cannot ever be engaged. The drive is straight to the spindle.

Yes I'm getting all the "wonderful" things along with it including the table. Be kinda interesting to see how fast/slow it will run with the back gear engaged. Just another one of life's bad decisions but "in a hundred years what will it matter?" LoL I think my "diamond in the rough" is just a lump of coal.
The back gear will not function with the hokey vee belt drive.

It's definitely a doable project, you even got the taper attachment. I'd probably be looking for a replacement spindle if it was mine. You might find one on ebay in time. Put the machine back to how it was originally and you will have something to be proud of. I had to replace the whole head stock on my lathe when I restored it, not the end of the world. It's a joy to use now.

Last edited:
The back gear will not function with the hokey vee belt drive.
That's a good point! Gotta get everything back to original to make it work as designed. I'm already in a little deep so what's a few more thousand dollars to get it right!!!! Ha LoL

Attachments

• download (23).jpeg
    download (23).jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
Back