South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Did you get the spindle I posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I saw that one as well as others. I need to wait and see if mine is salvagable before spending on that. What I need most is a belt tensioner handle as I now have everything else.

Yes I saw that one as well as others. I need to wait and see if mine is salvagable before spending on that. What I need most is a belt tensioner handle as I now have everything else.
Sadly that one is gone. I thought you might have bought it.

I bought the pictured items but have bid on the tensioner assembly. I think and hope that I have all my investment done. Depends on the spindle should it "have" to be replaced. Opinion time! What would a restored 9A be worth? Not that I'll be selling it because it's the one I want instead of the SB 9C and my Grizzly 3-In-1 G9729. Wiffy is probably wondering if one could be converted into a sewing machine or washing machine! LoL

Attachments

• s-l1600 (20).jpg
    s-l1600 (20).jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 66
  • s-l1600 (21).jpg
    s-l1600 (21).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 59
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 56
  • $_26.jpeg
    $_26.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Yes I was considering just cutting off the last 1/4" as it is not that important.

Don't cut off any from the spindle. That "last quarter inch" is a lot more important that you may realize. Without it, no stock collet assembly will fit. Also, you may need to mount a drawbar there for milling cutters. Without the extra 1/4", chips may not fall clear of the gear cover, but will instead fall INTO the gears. My feeling is that you will be able to salvage the spindle. Take it to a machine shop and have them cut the welds off, then grind the remaining welds flush to the rest of the spindle (you'll need a lathe with a large bore to do this).

Don't cut off any from the spindle. That "last quarter inch" is a lot more important that you may realize. Without it, no stock collet assembly will fit. Also, you may need to mount a drawbar there for milling cutters. Without the extra 1/4", chips may not fall clear of the gear cover, but will instead fall INTO the gears. My feeling is that you will be able to salvage the spindle. Take it to a machine shop and have them cut the welds off, then grind the remaining welds flush to the rest of the spindle (you'll need a lathe with a large bore to do this).
I'll keep this in mind when the lathe finally arrives and I can check out the spindle. I guess there isn't all that much leftover room to if I remove 1/4". Good point of chips falling into gears though. I'll probably never own a draw bar due to the cost and need. Pic of spindle on my 9C.

Attachments

• 20200107_200624.jpg
    20200107_200624.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
I was thinking of how to remove the tack welds on the spindle and came up with a method that just might work. Looks like it "might" have four or five tack welds. Hacksaw off the tube, hoping it's a tube, that's welded inside the spindle flush with the spindle's end. (Cover gears) Use dremel to grind down welds. From the chuck end use proper diameter drift and hammer what's left inside on out. Use a round file on the inside of spindle and a flat file on the outside to clean things up. Even just cutting off the added piece flush would be enough if it's a tube and not solid bar.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 80
  • s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 75
Don't hammer - it can damage the bearings - and the head - and the spindle. The rod looks solid to me, with a piece of copper pipe as a shim for the pulley - you will have to wait to receive the lathe to determine this. Good luck using a file - these spindles are harder than a whore's heart. The Dremel should be able to grind the welds down.

Don't hammer - it can damage the bearings - and the head - and the spindle. The rod looks solid to me, with a piece of copper pipe as a shim for the pulley - you will have to wait to receive the lathe to determine this. Good luck using a file - these spindles are harder than a whore's heart. The Dremel should be able to grind the welds down.
I guess a step was left out! (Remove spindle from head.) Would still have to protect journal surfaces from scratching before sledge hammer demolition pounding! LoL At worst case I'll have to get a new spindle but I think it's can be salvaged.

So... did the lathe arrive?

So... did the lathe arrive?
Your very perceptive! I picked it up from FASNEL this morning. In order to get it off my truck I had to take it apart piece by piece and take it to the back yard. I'm going to need help to get the lathe bed and table off though. I have been working on it all day and just now came inside to take a soaking bath. ( All my body parts are aching!!!) Later this evening I'll post some pics. There isn't a single assembly that doesn't have issues. This lathe is a piece of "junk" and I paid 3 times it's worth. Last time I'll buy off eBay or Craigslist without inspecting it first. Lesson learned, un-learned and re-learned! There's just no help for the "dumb!"

Back