South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

I wouldn't count on that bed having less wear than yours, good chance it has more, plus your saddle ways will not match the new bed. Work with what you have and tweak the leveling to determine if it suits your needs.

I wouldn't count on that bed having less wear than yours, good chance it has more, plus your saddle ways will not match the new bed. Work with what you have and tweak the leveling to determine if it suits your needs.
I went back and did an re-alignment of the tailstock and now found it was over shimmed. I removed/replaced shims and now I'm reading good on my cuts. Saw this quick alignment trick on YouBoob and seemed to work out good for me. Steel rule between the two dead centers. The pic is before re-shimming. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200219_071604.jpg
    20200219_071604.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Maybe we can set up a pony express. I can get it to Crawfordsville, Indiana. If someone else is local to there and could advance it closer to Tampa and so on, we might be able to make it low cost.
I'm kinda in a "hmmm, I wonder" mode now. I realigned / re-shimmed my tailstock and now it's cutting quite good. Don't know if I should buy the lathe bed or not. It' been brought to my attention that my saddle wear might not fit well with the new lathe bed.

I went back and did an re-alignment of the tailstock and now found it was over shimmed. I removed/replaced shims and now I'm reading good on my cuts. Saw this quick alignment trick on YouBoob and seemed to work out good for me. Steel rule between the two dead centers. Thanks

Not sure if that’s the after alignment pic but I think the tail stock is higher than the spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that’s the after alignment pic but I think the tail stock is higher than the spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pic was before I re-shimmed. I just did another test cut and "now" I'm off again! Checked with mic and am .007" off and with a dial gage I'm off by .004" between ends. I zeroed on the tailstock end.

20200219_095752.jpg

Frustrating!

Last edited:
If you're relying on the zero hash on the rear of the spindle, you will probably cut a taper. Take a cut, measure, adjust for half the run out, repeat, repeat.......

What does your other, better test indicator show?
I thought this one was giving errant readings?

Back