South Bend 9a Restoration (pic Heavy)

I respectful disagree with polishing the plain spindle bearings, the spindle should be polished like you did but the plain bearings should have oil pockets in them not polished. I used to hand scrap in od grinders center less grinders etc. and that is the wrong way to do it you wont have any area to hold the oil film. I hand scraped my 9" wide bed spindle in and i can run my bearing down to + .0005 lift which is very tight.

108.JPG

Kernbigo,

I hope those were duplicate post. I went ahead and deleted them for you.

Here's the paint code for the paint I'm using. I found it mentioned in a random YouTube video:
IMG_5805_zpsxjqoc9nj.jpg

Give credit where credit is due... I was just watching BasementShopGuy's shaper restoration series on YouTube and in Part 3 he comments (at 9:04) that *HE* took a pristine section of South Bend painted part to Ben Moore and had this color formulated. I couldn't recall what video I had found this in, and I guess I rediscovered it today. In fact, in the original video that I took this screen capture of, he didn't go into detail about the back history of determining this color code. But in the shaper video, he mentions taking the South Bend part to Ben Moore and getting it scanned. So there you go... firm believer in citing sources when possible!

Also- if you check out the video linked in this post, you'll see the High Gloss version of this paint, whereas I used the Low Luster version for my lathe. I do far prefer the low luster myself. Nice to be able to see the difference though.

I do find the color very pleasing, and in this photo you can see the drastic difference between a standard "machine grey" as on my Burke mill and the SB color.DSC_2436_rdc_zpstjmm3tln.jpg

I'm going to pull this back to the top Wildo, cause I was late to view...I don't spend much time on the computer. But, you restoration looks great. I have to be honest, I would have tossed the nameplates and had new ones laser etched(Father in law discount!), but yours look much better! Bigtime kudos on those. The restoration as a whole and the attention to detail is inspirational. Job very well done!

Back