South Bend 9a tailstock dial

mace2364

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I’m slowly restoring a South Bend 9a. While I have it apart, I’d like to add a dial to the tailstock, since it obviously has no accurate means of measurement as is. I have not had much luck turning up any info on this, but I can’t be the only one to want a dial on the tailstock.

Has anyone here added a dial to theirs? Better yet, does anyone have a source for parts to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen a dial on a 9 or 10 " SB lathe. The tail stock comes with 0.1 " marks etched on the tp of the tail stock spindle. These marks are sufficient for 99.9 % of operations with the tail stock. If you must be more accurate rig up mag base dial indicator.

I made one for my 10". Not that I had any need for it but since I made big dials for compound and cross slide I figured why not. I made all 3 with no modifications to stock parts except 1 drilled and tapped hole in tailstock hand wheel to facilitate locking to spindle. It works but is complete overkill. I don't do much drilling besides for centers and through holes.

I have never seen a dial on a 9 or 10 " SB lathe. The tail stock comes with 0.1 " marks etched on the tp of the tail stock spindle. These marks are sufficient for 99.9 % of operations with the tail stock. If you must be more accurate rig up mag base dial indicator.

My 1973 SB 10K has a dial on the tail stock as well as the lines on the ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back