South bend 9a wiring

seneca

Registered
Registered
Hello, noob here I just got my first lathe and the previous owner cut the wires. I want to fire it up and see if the motor works ( he said it did ) but want to make sure this is not a 3 phase. What's throwing me off is that the green wire ( I think is the ground yes/no? ) is going into the motor? Also in the control box I don't see anything grounded? Can anyone help me understand this plz.
IMG_0275.JPGIMG_0274.JPGIMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0281.PNG

IMG_0280.PNG

IMG_0279.PNG

IMG_0282.PNG

IMG_0283.PNG

I have never seen a switched ground wire. Traditionally, grounding conductors are fixed to the metal enclosure as a means of trapping a ground fault. It may have been that at some time, someone changed conductors. You could safely experiment and place the two black cambric conductors emanating from the motor and place across the 240 V line and see if she spins up. However, the 1.8 / 2 A nameplate rating at 3-phase does commensurate with a 1 HP motor as what appears to be in your case, and you very well may have a 3-phase motor.

I have never seen a switched ground wire. Traditionally, grounding conductors are fixed to the metal enclosure as a means of trapping a ground fault. It may have been that at some time, someone changed conductors. You could safely experiment and place the two black cambric conductors emanating from the motor and place across the 240 V line and see if she spins up. However, the 1.8 / 2 A nameplate rating at 3-phase does commensurate with a 1 HP motor as what appears to be in your case, and you very well may have a 3-phase motor.
This is a 1/2hp motor. I though that a 3 phase has a min.. of 4 wires no? and can I do a test with only 220v on a 3 phase don't I need a converter?

This is a 1/2hp motor. I though that a 3 phase has a min.. of 4 wires no? and can I do a test with only 220v on a 3 phase don't I need a converter?

I did not see any hp figure on the nameplate, but if it is indeed a 1/2 hp, then 1.8 A does correspond with single phase. I don't recall ever seeing a 1/2 hp three phase motor, so it seems you have a single phase motor. To answer yuor other questions: A 3-phase motor is usually only three wires. The only time you will see 4 wires in a 3-phase supply system is when they bring the common node out for purposes of ground-fault detection, or if phase to neutral voltage is needed -- not applicable here. You can try placing the motor conductors across 220/240 V single phase and see if it works. If the motor comes up to speed quickly, then you have a single phase motor. If she hums, staggers and seems reluctant, then you may have a 3-phase motor, or maybe a defective motor. As for the drum switch connected green wire, it may be that the green wire is wired to permit reverse rotation. Look at the drum switch and try and trace the conductors. If reverse rotation position corresponds with a connection to the green wire, it may explain the 3rd conductor.

I did not see any hp figure on the nameplate, but if it is indeed a 1/2 hp, then 1.8 A does correspond with single phase. I don't recall ever seeing a 1/2 hp three phase motor, so it seems you have a single phase motor. To answer yuor other questions: A 3-phase motor is usually only three wires. The only time you will see 4 wires in a 3-phase supply system is when they bring the common node out for purposes of ground-fault detection, or if phase to neutral voltage is needed -- not applicable here. You can try placing the motor conductors across 220/240 V single phase and see if it works. If the motor comes up to speed quickly, then you have a single phase motor. If she hums, staggers and seems reluctant, then you may have a 3-phase motor, or maybe a defective motor. As for the drum switch connected green wire, it may be that the green wire is wired to permit reverse rotation. Look at the drum switch and try and trace the conductors. If reverse rotation position corresponds with a connection to the green wire, it may explain the 3rd conductor.
Ok thank you very much this all new to me. Ill run it over the 220 wires and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, post a top view of the drum switch showing all the wires. We'll go from there. It could be 3 phase after all.
Mark S.

Ok so I hooked up the 220 wires to just the motor just to see if she would turn. No go, it gave a hum but wouldn't spin. Here are the photos.
IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0295.PNG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

The very last photo looks like it shows three conductors coming from the motor, and green tape on the one conductor. Looking more and more now like a 3 phase motor.

Last edited:
The very last photo looks like it shows three conductors coming from the motor, and green tape on the one conductor. Looking more and more now like a 3 phase motor.
Well that's a bummer guys that sold it to me said it was a single phase. :( I cant use that.

Well that's a bummer guys that sold it to me said it was a single phase. :( I cant use that.

No despair - if it is a 3 phase motor, you can use a converter, and for a 1/2 hp motor, it wouldn't be very large or expensive, and there is tons of info here regarding such items. However, you can pick up a static unit for $50.00 here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sm...2-3-HP-American-Rotary-DS-1-2-3-/371405692360

But first confirm it is a 3 phase motor. Are there three leads coming out of the motor housing?

Back