South bend 9a wiring

Also I don't understand how its grounds in the switch box? is there no ground when its put into reverse?

No despair - if it is a 3 phase motor, you can use a converter, and for a 1/2 hp motor, it wouldn't be very large or expensive, and there is tons of info here regarding such items. However, you can pick up a static unit for $50.00 here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sm...2-3-HP-American-Rotary-DS-1-2-3-/371405692360

But first confirm it is a 3 phase motor. Are there three leads coming out of the motor housing?
yes all 3 wire come up from the motor.

OK first thing to clarify here: your green is not ground, here it is being used as a power carrying conductor (and it's bad practice to do so)
but the wiring at the drum switch looks like a 3 phase connection at first glance but it doesn't look correct- the green would be shorted to the black in one of the switch positions which would trip the breaker. So it must be an odd single phase motor- you got a multimeter handy?
Mark
ps I should mention that if the green IS in fact a ground and it is being switched that is also bad practice.

Last edited:
I agree with Mark, the green wire is not a ground.
Which of the three motor wires did you hook up to the 220 V line?

yes all 3 wire come up from the motor.

Could be a 3 phase motor, or an odd single phase motor as Mark suggested. Sounds like Mark is going to guide thru making some measurements to know for sure - so grab yer meter and get ready for an education.

OK first thing to clarify here: your green is not ground, here it is being used as a power carrying conductor (and it's bad practice to do so)
but the wiring at the drum switch looks like a 3 phase connection at first glance but it doesn't look correct- the green would be shorted to the black in one of the switch positions which would trip the breaker. So it must be an odd single phase motor- you got a multimeter handy?
Mark
Hello mark. I do have one but my family and I had made plans to go up north for the weekend. I’ll be home sometime Sunday evening. I can take any instructions you give and can do them Sunday or Monday. Thank you! I’m stuck on what i need to do.

Thank you everyone for your help. My family and I are out of town until Sunday evening. I will be right back on this as soon as I get home but happy wife happy life right :) really appreciate all your input guys. Thank you.

This is a 1/2hp motor. I though that a 3 phase has a min.. of 4 wires no? and can I do a test with only 220v on a 3 phase don't I need a converter?
A quick question that is likely irrelevant - how do you know the motor is 1/2 hp...I did not see that on the name plate?

A quick question that is likely irrelevant - how do you know the motor is 1/2 hp...I did not see that on the name plate?
Ok I'm back in town today, I'm just going by what I think the motor tag says..
IMG_E0348.JPG
I have a motor co. outside of town and I took it there and they said its a 3 phase...Now I'm unsure if I should use a Static phase converter that says its 93% proficiency or if I should use a Rotary converter and get 100% of the motors rated horsepower. I'm not sure how much HP I can lose on a 1/2hp motor. The rotary phase converter is a lot more expensive. I'm hoping 93% of the total 1/2hp is fine. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back