South Bend dissembly question

South Bend loves those as they are easy.

Simply assemble the parts, drill a hole and insert a pin.

Pay attention and you may see they are not accurate, some at different angles and such odd things.

But it does the intended task with a lot less work than cutting matching keyway

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have it mostly torn down now. Not entirely but enough to clean everything and get some paint on it.
I am missing a part for it tho.
Part # 23.
It looks like a small round/beveled pin that tightens against the the tool head holder.
Is there someone here who could take a photo or 2 of theirs and maybe post some dimensions?
I'm sure I could make one.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2022-12-04_05_32_22.jpg
    2022-12-04_05_32_22.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 107
Hmmm,
2 days and no replys to my query about that part.
I watched Mr Pete on youtube take that part out of the SB7 he featured in his videos.
He just removed the locking bolt and used a magnet on a stick to pull it out.
It looked very easy to do.
I suppose I can figure it out...

I have been working on my little SB 7" off and on for much of the winter and am getting close to making some chips with it.
One thing I have to do yet is make a tool holder for it.
Is there someone here who has a SB or Atlas that could post some photos and dimensions of theirs so I could copy it?

Question on the size lathe. How are you arriving at 7”? South Bend sized them by how large a diameter it could swing. Is your lathe possibly a 9” or 14” if you are measuring from the bed to centerline of spindle. This will make a difference in the size of tool post holder you will want to make.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Question on the size lathe. How are you arriving at 7”? South Bend sized them by how large a diameter it could swing. Is your lathe possibly a 9” or 14” if you are measuring from the bed to centerline of spindle. This will make a difference in the size of tool post holder you will want to make.
It's a South Bend 7" shaper, not a lathe.

I feel really stupid. Thanks for the correction. I will see myself out.
No harm no foul.
I do it too.
On the tractor forum a guy asks for help on rear axle seals for an 8N Ford.
I give him advice for a 9N Ford.
Similar tractors but very different type of seals.
Doh!
If someone could lend a hand with this I would be grateful.

Attachments

• 20230401_051009.jpg
    20230401_051009.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 68
I was wondering. Could a lathe lantern tool post work on your shaper? Maybe South Bend used the Lathe ones on the shaper. Or could be interchangeable.

What size is your T-slot on your clapper?

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have it mostly torn down now. Not entirely but enough to clean everything and get some paint on it.
I am missing a part for it tho.
Part # 23.
It looks like a small round/beveled pin that tightens against the the tool head holder.
Is there someone here who could take a photo or 2 of theirs and maybe post some dimensions?
I'm sure I could make one.
Thanks
I know this is an old post but I have mine apart today and it is a simple 3/8 dia pin, not sure if its cast iron or steel, one end is cut at am angle with a radius. I have had the shaper for years but not used it much since I got a clausing mill. Now I need to make some internal keyways for a south bend lathe bushing.

Attachments

• KIMG1908 (1).jpg
    KIMG1908 (1).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 44
Back