South Bend form 911

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody have a copy of S.B. Form 911 ? it deals with bearings for the rear Screw of taper attachment

i am installing a taper attachment on my heavy 10 and am having trouble knowing just what i need
I have most of the parts but lack the rear screw and am confused about bearings. I've never seen the parts of a taper attachment but have learned that havig bearings is a different screw than NO BEARINGS may also require other different parts ...

There are two thrust bearings, one on each end of the round tube that straddles the top of the taper attachment. I don't know if I have those bearings handy, I do have a spare taper attachment here and will look.

The bulletin your looking for is 978A, not 911J, even though it is noted to look at 911J.

Please note, the bearing numbers listed are South Bend Lathe part numbers. A couple of bearing numbers to search for are FT-010, A-010, FR-17, for a start. The OD, ID of the Thrust bearing is somewhere around 11/16" OD x 3/8" ID. Remember, South Bend lathe had special bearings for lots of their lathes, so don't be surprised if you have to modify things to get them to fit.

Ken

Attachments

• 978A.pdf
    335.7 KB · Views: 10
Mine 10L x slide had two thrust bearings the taper had bronze , there all the same thrust bearings now

Back