South Bend Heavy 10 I Just Got

Don T

Registered
Registered
I just got this 10" South Bend. I am new to these and I have heard the term "Heavy 10"? Is that what I got? the serial number is LT-106R 4512RKT9. It is missing a LOT of the gears but at the price of free I had to take it. I hope gears are not to expensive. It came with a Dayton 1hp 220 motor. It took me 2 days and some persistence but I got it moved all by my self using a mini van! Now I have to clean it up and get it going. Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG6160.JPG
    CIMG6160.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 54
  • CIMG6161.JPG
    CIMG6161.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 52
  • CIMG6162.JPG
    CIMG6162.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 45
  • CIMG6164.JPG
    CIMG6164.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 50
  • CIMG6165.JPG
    CIMG6165.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 49
  • CIMG6166.JPG
    CIMG6166.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
  • CIMG6167.JPG
    CIMG6167.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 41
  • CIMG6170.JPG
    CIMG6170.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 41
  • CIMG6169.JPG
    CIMG6169.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 40
  • CIMG6168.JPG
    CIMG6168.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 40
  • CIMG6173.JPG
    CIMG6173.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 41
That's a lot of pieces. Hope your the one who took it apart. If not parts are around because it was a popular lathe. There are some fine folks here with South Bends that will help with information. Good luck on your project

Yep, a Heavy 10. From Well's site, it would be roughly 1952 10L with a quick change gearbox and a turret. There should be a few gears, but not a slew of change gears like the old lathes.

PS Wells has a book called "How to put your basketcase back together".... or maybe it's something about restoring South Bend lathes. Tis' on eBay for about $40. Worth it.

That's a lot of pieces. Hope your the one who took it apart. If not parts are around because it was a popular lathe. There are some fine folks here with South Bends that will help with information. Good luck on your project

Yes I took it apart. I saw it run before I took it.

Free? That's the very best start!
It actually ran? Even better!
Took it apart? Good move to help divide and conquer the weight. Do some of that in reverse in getting it to go together on it's final spot.

Not easy to see if there was any substantial wear ridge on the ways, but there seems not, so OK.
It has the quick-change gearbox, so does not need a whole bunch of extra gears - just so long as the ones that live in the gearbox are still there.

You should do OK out of this. Clean up, maybe some paint. At the price of free, you won't mind treating it to a new set of wicks and suchlike. You can get complete rebuild kits on eBay. Peek up the places that take tapers, and check for dings. Also, at the price of free, it might allow for little "upgrade" here and there. The drive belt? Maybe a quick-change tool post if there is not one already there.

Free? That's the very best start!
It actually ran? Even better!
Took it apart? Good move to help divide and conquer the weight. Do some of that in reverse in getting it to go together on it's final spot.

Not easy to see if there was any substantial wear ridge on the ways, but there seems not, so OK.
It has the quick-change gearbox, so does not need a whole bunch of extra gears - just so long as the ones that live in the gearbox are still there.

You should do OK out of this. Clean up, maybe some paint. At the price of free, you won't mind treating it to a new set of wicks and suchlike. You can get complete rebuild kits on eBay. Peek up the places that take tapers, and check for dings. Also, at the price of free, it might allow for little "upgrade" here and there. The drive belt? Maybe a quick-change tool post if there is not one already there.

Yea it is missing all the gears in the QCGB. But like you said, I got it for free so I can put some money into it and have a nice lathe.

You have a project!
Before you spend a bunch of time on it, make sure the spindle and bearings are good. My 2 cents.

Back