South Bend Heavy 10 Restoration Photos (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Ok, since there has been no negative response towards the large picture size I asked...Here you go.

It was a 1982 heavy 10R that was headed to the scrap yard....I intercepted it.
A little rusty from being left outside. I planned on cleaning it up, without getting crazy making it a museum piece.
...Gordon

038copy.jpg
039copy.jpg

Disassembly was pretty much straight forward, with the taper pins being the only fun. It actually had a easy life (not much wear & tear).

053copy.jpg
057copy.jpg
063copy.jpg
066copy.jpg

A close look at the half nut revealed very little use, a good thing.
058copy.jpg

Working on projects like this requires a mixed array of cleaning methods/techniques. Luckily, (over the years) I've been getting things together to make that job easier. Unfortunately, there isn't just one thing that works the best. My latest tool for cleaning stuff is this really sweet 10gal. 1000w ultrasonic cleaner (about 3 years old now). Boy,does this thing do a great job! It helps to first soak the real greasy parts in the standard "gunk tank" first, then run them in the ultrasonic cleaner to get them spotless (of grease & crap). Here's a couple pictures of a fresh clean tank with some apron parts in it. The greasy film just turns into a cloud and leaves the parts sparkling (a real time saver).
102copy.jpg
104copy.jpg
108copy.jpg
111copy.jpg

Fresh out of the "tank".
113copy.jpg
118copy.jpg
Most of the factory filler/primer fell off the apron casting from the tank cleaning. It looked like some old 'nitro stan' red putty that filled some casting imperfections and grind marks.

Just backing up here a bit, I'd like to thank all of you guys for the helpful posts over the years. This place is a wealth of experience & knowledge for anyone who wants to mess with this historic "South Bend Iron". I've learned a lot! And still learning. Take notes boys! Thanks!!!

After those parts were all cleaned and ready for paint, I moved over to the QC gearbox next. All this time I kept glancing at the cabinet, thinking it will be the biggest part of the cleanup job....Saving that for last.
121copy.jpg
130copy.jpg
128copy.jpg
136copy.jpg
137copy.jpg
138copy.jpg
139copy.jpg
148copy.jpg
My basic cleaning procedure...a general guide.
1- Brush/scrape off most of the loose stuff
2- De-grease parts in standard gunk tank
3- De-gunk parts in the ultrasonic tank
4- Remove any excess material in the blast cabinet (using the appropriate blast media for the final finish needed).
5- Final cleaning prep for paint (or if bare metal finish, brush on some Corrosion X).
6- Prime, Paint, Re-assemble.

Some more pix...
Plastic blast media does a fantastic job without etching or removing any metal. The original die grinder marks are still visible like the day it was ground, inside the QC housing.
161copy.jpg
162copy.jpg
165copy.jpg
169copy.jpg
180copy.jpg
Oh boy...the dreaded cabinet!!!
181copy.jpg
182copy.jpg

Head stock housing getting the plastic bead blast treatment.

238copy.jpg

Final cleanup before paint....

241copy.jpg
244copy.jpg
245copy.jpg

Moving along to the bed... Too big to fit in my blast cabinet frown.gif
I tried aircraft paint stripper, but it was too cold to work for the thickness of buildup (would have taken days). A cheezy HF needle scaler actually tore the paint & filler up pretty quick....

249copy.jpg
247copy.jpg

Here's a couple of shots showing,(where I got crazy) the 2 coats of "bondo" on the bed. Actually the filler I use is the U-pol brand, that comes in a big bag, kinda like toothpaste. It's expensive as filler goes, but the mixing, applying, and easy sanding qualities out weighs the cost.

022copy.jpg
024copy.jpg
023copy.jpg

At this point I decided to start to get some sub assembly's together....time for PAINT! The final color decision was a tough one. I sent my nephew down to the local autobody supply house with a NOS carriage stop, (the most expensive thing I bought for this so far) to match up the color. He came back with a couple of quarts of Limco 2 acrylic enamel that matched perfect (code 15491). I see most everyone uses regular enamel....but to be honest with you, I hate that stuff. It takes forever to "dry" and isn't very durable. Catalyzed acrylic enamel is lots easier to work with, especially in a cool shop.

142copy.jpg
149copy.jpg
155copy.jpg

011copy.jpg
007copy.jpg

Well....on to the "cabinet". This thing is like the size of a small Buick....all rusty and nasty. The doors just fit in the blast cabinet, and got treated with some #60 aluminum oxide...easy. The main cabinet first got a 3000psi 250* bath, that removed most of the paint and crap. Next, I was thinking about dragging out the sand blast equipment to clean up the rest. As for sand blasting large things like this, it's a big adventure...and the sand goes everywhere....Hmmmm.

My nephew made the suggestion to check out one of those liquid rust removers. Well, I'm glad that I did. I ended up buying the "Safest Rust Remover" concentrate from Ultra One, (there are a few company's that sell the same stuff). First time using it, the setup was easy. Using a big tarp under the cabinet to re-cycle the liquid. A little giant pond pump with some full circle sprinkler nozzles produced a nice rinse. It took about 2 hours to remove thesurface rust, keeping a eye on things and re-locating the spray after the areas got cleaned up. EASY! as compared to sand blasting.

031copy.jpg
036copy.jpg
041copy.jpg
048copy.jpg

22353R... Close.
120copy.jpg
Before paint I just had to fix the hack saw marks left in the tray...

028.jpg

Besides that, the cabinet had the standard dents and gouges associated with "this is junk" it's outta here.

While on that picture subject, I caught a common mistake that is NOT in the "book", my bad. The simple wick routing in the apron is more natural in the original factory setting. I corrected the shaft/keyway indexing before final assembly...Simple fix. Get the picture?
Wickrouting2.jpg

The electrical system was a mess, beginning with the main fuse clip snapped off. No wonder no power. The insulation on the wires feeding the motor were all cracked and breaking down, (a minor fire/shock hazard )

185.jpg

The under cabinet drive and "dreaded" cabinet FINISHED! All new sealed bearings in the drive assy...Things got a little crusty after the steam cleaning.
A couple coats of 2K polyester primer and acrylic enamel, things are looking good. Boy, That cabinet.... All new stainless screws and handles (Lowes had a really close matching stainless handle that fit well).

A53D1784copy.jpg
A53D1783.jpg
A53D1781.jpg
A53D1780copy.jpg
A53D1778.jpg
A53D1814copy.jpg
  1. Moving along... Here's the NOS carriage stop I used to get the final color from.
    A53D1797.jpg

Almost done....
    A53D1791.jpg
    A53D1790.jpg
    A53D1769.jpg
    A53D1775.jpg
    A53D1808copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back