South Bend Junior Introduction

Hi Joe,

I was going thru some SouthBend files and found this November 1928 catalog.
Page 4 shows the model 22-YB(code word "Bhorn"). $155 dollars back then!

That same page also shows a picture of the metal plate thread-cutting guide.
You gotta zoom way in to read the numbers, but they are visible!

I'll keep digging around for a parts diagram too.
I'll post back if I find one.
-brino

Attachments

• SouthBend_1928_9inch_Junior_Lathes.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
okay....interesting....I just found the "22-YB" (code word "Babig") in the 1933 catalog (page 6).
I had thought these "Catalog Numbers" would be unique for the different model years....NOT SO!

It also shows a threading chart and it might be more readable.
-brino

Attachments

• 1933 - South Bend Lathes Catalog 93.pdf
    23.4 MB · Views: 11
Brino;

That is BEAUTIFUL! I've downloaded the PDF and extracted that image. My next step is to feed that through a trace into a vector drawing and clean it up, and then have someone cut it out on vinyl so I can then use that to etch into a brass plate. Thanks for the pointer, that is a perfect match to what I need!

The closest I've been able to come on the parts diagram is the 9/10/13" partial parts catalog from around 1930 (not sure of actual year). It has the parts laid out, and then an "assembled" drawing, and that might get me close enough. I've got my back gears repaired, and the headstock painted. I need to have the spindle cleaned up and the bushings done right, and then I can start putting the headstock back together and I'd be half way there! You guys are awesome over here!

Joe,

This might be very similar to what you already have, but attached is a 1930 Repair Parts bulletin.
But the headstock clamp does NOT look like what you posted above.....

-brino

Attachments

• 1930 - Bulletin No. 19 - Repair Parts for South Bend Lathes.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
The other thing to note is that this is not a completely "normal" lathe - it does not have the "cone" pulley that most had at the time. It has a v-belt pulley on it - so either it was ordered that way, or someone modified it after the fact. Did these things come with the v-belt pulleys we know so well today?

Perfect, finally got a chance to run some numbers. The stud gear is 1 and 1/8" diameter with 16 teeth :

diametral pitch = (number of teeth + 2) / diameter = (16 + 2) / 1.125 = 16DP

Matches! (I just had to make sure.) Now I can start playing on eBay for the gear pile!

To top it all off, I ran the spindle over to my machinist neighbor today to have him clean it up. He said not to worry about it unless there is play, and that it looked used, but in pretty good shape for something that old. Now to find some new shims for the headstock, and I'm about ready to turn!

Back